Monday, December 5, 2011

Delaware Redux (Part 2)

Woke up Saturday and, after a quick drive by Dover Air Force Base, headed back to the Crown Royal Poker Room.  Played a quick three hour $1/2 NL session, and could not get anything going.  It was one of those days where every hand I folded would have hit monster, every hand I played whiffed, and the hands I actually hit did not get paid.  Started the session down $65 almost immediately when I called a $12 raise in position with 99.  Thought about re-popping, but opted to flat in position.  Flop came out J high and Villian (a young guy) fired $25.  I think an autofold here is just too soft, so I called.  We checked the blank on the turn and he fired $30 on the river.  I called and he showed a J for the pot.

Played very few hands over the next 3 hours . . . .  Folded KQ diamonds to a $20 pre flop raise.   Had I called, I would have flopped the str8t and turned the str8t flush (would have been my first ever at a live game).  Original raiser won the pot with a set of T's, so I likely would have gotten paid off.   Later, I turned 4's full K's after limping from the small blind with K4.  I won $6 on the hand.  Yep, that's the way it goes some times.

After a quick dinner and an hour of the "Devils Game" (a mix of 10-handed Joker Poker and Dueces Wild), returned to the poker room at 7:00 pm and sat at the softest table I've ever played out.  Pre-flop raising was nearly unheard of, and any piece of the board was apparently worth seeing the hand through the river.  Of course, I started out by digging a quick $55 hole three hands in.  After two limpers, I looked down at A9 in the hi-jack and raised to $10.  Got one caller -- a woman in her 60's who, as it turned out, may be the worst live NL player the world has ever seen.  The flop came out 9 high and I bet $15.  She called.  Turn was a 4.  Board still dry.  I bet $25.  She called.  River blanked and she checked a third time.  I checked back.  She tabled KK.  Okay, so that's how the game is being played . . .

It quickly became obvious that this woman would play any two cards . . . always limping.  If she hit the flop (or had a draw to virtually anything), she would call any amount.  If she hit the flop, she would bet, and if she crushed the flop, she would bet big.   About 30 minutes in, I lost my second big hand to this poker guru.    I raised to $10 out of position with AK diamonds . . . she called . . . and we saw a flop of 5d 4d Ac.  Jackpot.  I bet (because I knew she would call anything); she obliged.   Turn was another 4 and I checked.  She bet $45.  Her bet sizing caught me a bit off guard, as she had been continually betting $10 to $15 regardless of potsize (she had no concept of bet-sizing).  Slightly suscpicious, I called.   River blanked (flush did not come in) and I again checked to her.  Again, she fired $45.   I laid down my TPTK and she showed 54 for the turned boat.  Mental note -- $10 preflop raise not enough to get old lady to muck 54 off . . .  An hour in, I sat back and wondered how I could be down over $100 at this particular table.   Perhaps I'm worse than I think.   

But, things returned to the norm, as they often do at the poker table.  I later got three streets of value against my new Villian with JJ preflop (she had flopped a pair of 5's, which, of course, warrants three calls).  Still later, I flopped a Q-high flush (holding JQ) and let her bet into me for three streets after she flopped a garbage two-pair.   Old Lady Villian ultimately rebought -- $100 at a time -- 6 times over the course of 5 hours.  She commented at one point, "I was doing so well last night; not sure what's happening tonight."  Um.  I have a thought . . .  Old Lady Villain also drank progressively heavier as the night wore on, which sort of made her awesome.  Old Lady Villian also had the good fortune to catch "cowboys" (pocket KK) five times over the course of the session.  She lost 4 of the 5 hands (her lone win being against me early on, as described above).   She lamented about her poor luck.  Now, I know the rule about "feeding the fish."  But after her 4th loss, I couldn't help myself.  I suggested, "ma'am, perhaps you should consider raising with KK pre flop?"  Her response: "yeah, but I don't want to scare people off; I want to suck them into my web."  OK.  I did my good deed for the night.  I was done helping.

Hand of the night:  I call $8 from a local rock with JQ hearts in position.  One other caller.  Flop comes T(h), 9(h), J(s).  Bingo.  Rock bets $20.  I call, as does other the guy.  Turn is T(c).  Rock bets $35.  I call.  Other guy calls.    River is a beautifull K of hearts.  Other guy leads out for $50.  Local Rock calls $50.  I repop to $175, praying someone hit the A-high flush.  Other guy folds and Rock calls.  I fast roll the nuts and he tables KK's full.  Surprised he didn't re-pop me.  Perhaps he was trying to be nice; or, perhaps that's why he's a Rock....  In any event, it was a profitable hand in what was a very profitable session . . .

Sunday morning, I decided to make the drive north to Delaware Park and play the Noon $5,000 guaranty.  I got to The Del at 11:00 and made a straight line for the sportsbook.  Time to christen Delaware's sports wagering:

Bet looked better on paper than on the scoreboard.

The Noon tourny started out well.  I doubled up during the first level when my set of 7's held up against a Villian who over-played a flopped top pair with A9 on a 9-high board.  Made it to the break with $15,600 in chips.  I then went card dead for most of the fourth, fifth and sixth levels, until, with 1 minute left before the second break, I looked down at QQ on the button.  A short-stack opened the action by shoving his last $1,500 or so.  I raised to $3,500 and got a call from the big blind -- an older player who was solid.  Flop came out K 7, 4 rainbow.  Action came to a halt while the dealer messed with the side pot.  Apparently, when he was done, he assumed the action had checked around and burned and turned, putting out another K.  The floor was called, and the K was removed (according to the floor, if we reached the river, it would be reshuffled into the deck).  When order was restored, the big blind led out for $5,000.  Ordinarily, this would probably be a fairly easy fold.  But, I talked myself into sticking around.  Specifically, I convinced myself that AA would have re-popped pre-flop from the big blind.  And given the fact that I had seen two K's (thanks to the dealer's error), I thought it was less likely that Villian had flopped top pair.  So, I shoved all in.  Villian flipped AK; I didn't hit my two-outer; and it was back on I-95 South with another weekend in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment