DC

DC

Saturday, February 11, 2012

One Last Orbit (Redux)

A few months ago, I wrote a post about "one last orbit" syndrome. If you play much poker, you've caught it once or twice. You rack your chips, get ready to walk, and look down at a GIANT hand. You play it out, and some one cracks your KK or AA and you end up leaving the table far lighted than planned.

Well, this afternoon I'm finishing up a quick 3 hour session at Delaware Park. My TAG Attack had worked again. I'm sitting on $835 ($535 profit) when I rack my chips (two racks, thank you), and attempt to make my escape as the big blind arrives. I say to Mo, the dealer, "I'm out". But Mo doesn't hear and deals me in. Rather than have the hand be a misdeal, I post my big blind. What's $2? But I tell Mo, "if I get my Aces cracked I'm gonna be pissed."

Six people limp in for $2 and I look down at my hand. You betcha - AA. I toss out the "extra" $35 from my rack of redbirds neatly lines in hundreds. Several players shoot me a smile; it folds around and I toss my AA face up into the muck, and tell Mo to keep the 14 whites in the pot. The hand cost me two bucks, but it was worth it for the story...


PPP

7 comments:

  1. While I don't really believe in the curse of one more orbit, I cringe every time I hear a story starting out that they were done when the blinds hit, or something like that.

    Glad you actually took this one down...er... well, at least the dealer got a good tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never pegged you for the supersticious sort, P3! I've lost some pots on "one last orbit", but I've won some extra too. I think most of the superstition is self fulfilling, as people play looser right before heading home and are apt to lose bigger pots.

    The cards don't care if you're racked or not ;-)

    s.i.

    ReplyDelete
  3. serious advice here, one of my tricks is once i see a guy play a hand when he is racked up - eeeaaazzzziest mark to bluff. i call any two float and bluff the fucker

    DONT RACK AND STAY SAT YOU ARE OPENING YOURSELF UP

    that said, nh and tip

    FBOY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, sounds like FBoy actually knows a thing or two about poker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a decent tournament hit, Josie (I haven't read the full report yet . . .). Nicely done. I played the 7:00 pm at Del Park last night, but couldn't get anythig going. Busted shotly after the second break . . . My tournament game needs more work than my cash game . . . if that's even possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in the curse of one more orbit. I also believe in the curse of waiting to leave before the big blind hits you. I did it once at Bally's in Las Vegas, hit a set on the flop, sucked in a donkey, and got busted on the river -- pot of around $600-800.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last time it hit me was Harrah's AC before the holidays . . . was racked up and ready to go and got AA while waiting for the big blind. Bet it aggressively and got rivered by a straight. Pot was no where near as big as he one that hit you, but it cost me the entire profit I had built up playing mistake-free poker over the course of the evening . . .

    ReplyDelete