DC

DC

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Derby Day at Dover Downs

Back from a successful trip to Dover.  Started out the evening with a brilliant bet on the Derby.  I began considering the field with my first beer.  Things came into focus sometime during the second and third beers.  By the fourth, the winner was obvious.  $25 on the #19 (and the #4 just in case):


 $25 paid $400 and change.  Yes, I'm very solid at racing.  I mean, it doesn't even seem like gambling . . .   If any one wants hot tips on next weekends horses, just give me the track and race number in the comment section below.   In the meantime, I'll be working on getting my 1-800 number up and running . . .

After the race, I hit the poker room -- freerolling with my race winnings. 


The first four hours went something like this:  fold, fold, fold, check my big blind, complete my small blind, fold, fold, fold, make a move from the hi-jack with 76 off and get caught, fold, fold, fold . . . .  I just kept hearing ggrouchie's advice in the back of my head: "you haven't played in a while, so don't go all LAG...."   I tried.  I really did.  But, by 11:00, I finally started forcing it, including bluffing off $75 or so trying to represent trip T's against the woman who actually had the third T.   Four-plus hours in and I was down $100.

Then I began catching some cards.  With $185 behind, I raised pre-flop with QQ and got called by an older women who was sitting on $1600 (a stack she had apparently luck-boxed her way into with a series of caught flushes and straights over the course of ten hours . . . at least according to some disgruntled folks at the far end of the table).  Flop was Q93 rainbow.  Jack. Pot.  I check and Old Lady Luck Box checks.  Turn blanks.  I bet $25.  OLLB raises to $75.  I smooth call.  River binks.  I check.  OLLB bets $100.  I shove what's left.  She calls and tables Q9.  Easy double up. 

Over the next 30 minutes I flop trip 3's . . .  limp from the small blind with 83 and turn 2 pair . . . and turn trip T's with T9 and get paid off by Villain's T8 when my 9 plays . . .   My chip stack starts to grow:
 

I continue to catch cards.  AA in position.  Villain opens to $10, gets a call, and I three-bet to $32.  Called in both spots.  Flop. is K 4 8 rainbow.  It checks to me and I check.  Turn is a T.  Villain shoves for $125.  Weird.  I call and he shows 99.  I guess he had somewhere to be.

Shortly thereafter, I get caught making a move from the small blind with 24 off.  After 5 limpers, I pop to $22.  The button calls.  Flop comes J 7 2.  I lead out for $35.  Call.  Turn blanks and I continue with my story -- $55.  Villain calls.  River blanks.  I consider a third barrel, but, in the end, wave the white flag and check.  Villain checks back and tables J8.   I had been playing TAG, showing down winners, and not getting out of line.  I raise from the small blind, and Villain decides it makes sense to go heads up to the flop with me holding J8 off?  OK.  Nice hand, sir.

A bit later a flop a straight flush draw with 46 hearts on a 53(h) A board.  I bet my draw and get called in two spots.  Turn is a black 7.  I'll take it.  I lead out again and again get called in two spots.  I  over bet the river trying to make it look bluffy.  Villain 1 folds; villain 2 tanks and finally says, "my kicker is no good," and folds.  No, sir . . . your kicker was the least of your problems.  I muck face down and scoop the pot.  Chip stack continues to grow:


At 1:30 am, after 6.5 hours, I call it quits and cash out.  An all around solid evening.

In other news, my summer travel schedule is filling out.  Following trial, I'm off for 5 days of sun and cocktails on the beach in Florida.  Apparently, Gulf Stream is close by, so I'm sure I'll squeeze some poker into the mix.

Next up - nine days at Aria beginning June 22.  Still debating whether to play some WSOP events that week.  It's almost hard to justify the $1,500 buy-ins and $4,000 starting stacks, when you can just play the Aria Daily or the Deepstacks at the Venetian.  The tournament schedule may end up being a game time decision. 

Finally, heading out to AT&T for the Mets-Giants series in early August, with a stop off in Vegas on the way home for 4 days at the PH (one of my favorite poker "rooms" in Vegas).  Should be a solid summer.

-PPP  

4 comments:

  1. I will not be playing any WSOP events but maybe I'll be able to sneak into one of those Aria Daily's and some cash with you when you are out here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ ggrouchie . . . sounds like plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang -- heck of a session! I'll be in Las Vegas June 20-26. So many great deepstacks to choose from instead of the WSOP donkathons. Do you plan on playing in the Friends of TBC tournament?

    ReplyDelete