DC

DC

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Tale of Two Laydowns

Ouch. The Poker Barrister is hungover as hell. Painful to type. This post will be brief.

Played a few hours yesterday afternoon at MGM. It was a total nit-fest, even for a Monday afternoon. A $15 pot was HUGE! It was so bad, I almost left after 30 minutes. Ultimately, I played two hours in a session marked by two Laydowns. One good. One exceedingly bad. Here's how it happened: [for both hands, I had a little over $300 and villains had me covered. Both were young and capable players].

HAND 1: limps around 6 way and I limp in with ducks. Flop is 7 2 8 rainbow. Guy bets $5 and 4 callers. Turn is a 5. Still no flush draw. Guy bets $10. Board getting str8ty, so I pop to $25. Third player - villain - repops to $90. I tank. 64 certainly possible given limped pot. I don't think this particular villain is 3 betting light in this spot. I lay down bottom set and villain turns over middle set.

HAND 2: twenty minutes later I raise 3 limpers to $10 with 88. UTG limp calls $10 and we go three way to a 678 rainbow flop. It checks to me and I bet $15. UTG raises to $30. I three-bet to $90. Villain 4-bets to $180. Realistically, 9T is the only hand I expect to see that I am behind. Not sure this Villain limp-calls $10 with 54, but maybe. Does anyone fold here? I tanked for a good 5 minutes. Stared down villain who looked very, very calm. Well, of course, I suck at poker, and folded.

After the hand, I got up and took a walk. I was steaming... at myself for being such a fucken nit. When I got back, villain had left. And, apparently, when I was gone, he told the table he had top pair. Bullshit. He's ready to stack off with top pair? The case 8? Bullshit. Anyway, still made at myself a day later for making such a weak decision. Ended up $54 for the short session. At least I live to suck at poker another day. -PPP

1 comment:

  1. "Anyway, still made at myself a day later for making such a weak decision."

    Yeah, and I called and lost my stack when I was positive I was was ahead and lost on the turn, so there is never a right answer in these circumstances.

    ReplyDelete