DC

DC

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Labor Day Update

Woke up early this morning and made a 4-hour commute from AC to DC.  Fun times. 
 
I made it up to Harrah's around 2:00 Saturday afternoon, and spent a few hours donking video poker before seeing Train at Borgata.  Great show.
 
Sunday, I played the noon tournament at the Golden Nugget.  I busted out 15th (6 spots from the money).  After a great start, chipping up to $26,000 from $15,000 before the first break, I went completely card dead.  While I was able to steal a few pots, by level 9, at $300/$1,500/$3,000, I was down to $12,000 chips and looking to shove.  Of course, I went an entire orbit without a shovable hand.  I finally ended up shoving dark from UTG.  It folded around and I chipped up to $19,200.  Gotta love a table that pays attention, particularly the dude in MP who tanked and later told me he folded a pocket pair because he just didn't like the spot.   What spot is that?  A blind shove from the small stack? Well played, sir.
 
After the blinds passed, I was basically back down to around $14,000 and looking to shove again.  This time, I made it an entire orbit without seeing a single card higher than a 9.  This time, when I was back UTG, I checked the hole, found 62, and decided to shove my big blind.  The hand started with UTG limping in, and then it folded around, including the small blind.  I shoved dark.  UTG, who was also short stacked, flipped A7 off.  Really?  I flipped Q3 and A-high took it down.  Sort of frustrating that a questionable play by the UTG knocked me out.  But, that's poker.
 
Sunday night I decided to play Cash at Harrah's.  Finally, for the first time since June 1st, I ran well.  In a little over 3 hours, I built my stack up to $775.



I pretty much got hit with the deck.  Everything I did worked.  One hand, I lead the flop for $15 with the nut flush draw (A9 clubs), got repopped to $40, called, promptly saw a club hit fourth street, and got a call of a $78 turn bet before villain finally folded to a big river bet.
 
Really only had one tough hand all night.  I raised several limpers to $10 in the SB with JJ and got four callers, including a call from the BB, who was a very solid player (sitting on a $600+ stack).  The flop came out 778 (two spades).  I lead for $40 and got a call from the big blind (every one else folded).  Great, playing jacks out of position against a solid villain with a bloated pot.  Perfect spot.  The turn blanked.  I tanked for at least a minute, trying to give off the appearance that I was considering a big bet, but eventually checked.  Villain tanked for twice a long, staring me down, before checking as well.  River blanks as well.  I really did not want to bet out.  First, it would have to be a big bet.  Second, I figure the only hand that is calling me is pocket 8's or maybe a hand like A7 suited.  I know Villain does not have an overpair (he would have three bet me preflop), yet, he called a rather large bet on the flop, so I tend to give him something.  Third, I figure if Villain called with a hand like 9T, I can let him take a shot at the pot.  So, I check, Villain again tanks and eventually fires $75.  I call (reluctantly) and Villain's cards hit the muck before my chips hit the felt.  Scary hand.    
 
Monday afternoon I played the 2:00pm at Showboat.  Didn't come close to the money.  I lost a few thousand chips early on with KK.  Guy to my right open raised, and I three bet.  Flop came down JJ8.  Villain checked to me and I bet.  He calls.  Turn is a 9.  This time, Villain leads with a large bet.  Am I beating anything here besides QQ?  What else is in Villain's range? AJ . . . maybe KJ or QT (assuming he called light)?  I fold, he mucks.  I think it was a good fold.
 
A few hands later I check my option from the big blind with T5 and see a flop of T58 (two diamonds).  Jackpot.  I lead out with the diamond draw on the board and get one caller.  Turn is a black 8 - perhaps the worst card in the deck for T5.  I check and villain checks.  River blanks.  I check again and villain checks again.  I show and say, "three pair" (yes, classic poker humor . . .).  Villain starts talking about how he didn't know that was the river and though there was one more card coming, all the while holding on to his hand.  He's going on and on to other players as the dealer is pushing the pot towards me.  Finally, villain tables his hand - T8.  Talk about a slow roll.  This idiot then continues telling people how he thought there was another card coming and that he knew I had a T.  Well, sir, too bad you didn't know that you actually have to bet in order to get value from your boat.  I felt like chiming in to tell him that even if he had bet the river, I wasn't calling, but I decided to take the high road despite the flagrant slow roll.
 
Sadly, that was about as good as it got.  Eventually, short stacked and in the big blind, I called a rather large raise with 66 hoping for a race and a double up.  I got the race part when Villain flipped KJ, but the J on the turn foiled the double up.
 
 Now it's back to the grind.  However, next Sunday is the Jets home opener, and, since my car cannot drive through Jersey without stopping in AC, I'll be back at Harrah's next weekend.
 
-PPP
 

12 comments:

  1. if ur shoving dark, how is him calling with A7 bad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounded like fun! Good to see the deck actually slapping you for once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think his initial limp UTG with A7 off was bad. Obviously, once it folds around, his decision to call a few thousand more after my blind shove is automatic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am аctually thankful tο the
    holder of this site ωho has shared thiѕ enormous post at here.
    Feel free to visit my weblog ; MS Chemie Games

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your means of telling everything in this piece of writing is
    truly good, all can simply understand it, Thanks a lot.
    My web page :: online games

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are a gaggle of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your site offered us with helpful info to work on. You have done a formidable task and our entire community might be grateful to you.



    Here is my weblog :: tumblr

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there to every one, it's actually a fastidious for me to visit this website, it consists of helpful Information.

    my page; tumblr

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howdy! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so I came to give it a look.
    I'm definitely loving the information. I'm
    book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!

    Superb blog and excellent design and style.

    Take a look at my webpage: Tiger-Photographic.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast coming over again to read
    additional news.

    Also visit my web page :: book of ra kostenlos downloaden

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always emailed this website post page to all my contacts, for the reason
    that if like to read it afterward my links will too.



    Here is my web site - www.mypositivetube.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, I log on to your new stuff regularly. Your story-telling style
    is witty, keep doing what you're doing!

    Also visit my blog - www.saanjhpakheru.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Link exchange is nothing else but it is simply placing the
    other person's website link on your page at suitable place and other person will also do same in support of you.

    my page - document collaboration

    ReplyDelete