DC

DC

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Chop Chop

Played the 2:00 pm at Showboat Saturday and got my first cash of the year.  $65 buy in, 86 runners.  We chopped at 7. 
 
I really never got much going over the course of seven hours.  My stack was below average basically the entire tournament, but a year's worth of "run-good" kept me alive time after time.  Relatively early on, with blinds at $1,000 / $2,000, I three-bet jammed TT and got called by 66 and AK.  Flop was A T K, the turn and river blanked, and my set held for a triple up.  Several hours later, with blinds $10,000 / $20,000, and again short-stacked with 5 big blinds and the blinds fast approaching, I jammed K3 into KQ and turned a 3.  About half an hour later, in a similar spot, I jammed A9 against AQ and flopped a 9.  Clean living.  Still later, I was again on life-support, under the gun, and forced to shove in the next two hands, I woke up with 99 and doubled up against the big blind's JT.
 
We hit the final table with blinds at $16,000 / $32,000.  I was sitting on $120,000 when the action folded around to me in the cut-off.  I look down at KJ and ship it.  It folds to the big blind, who has $105,000, and tanks.  Ultimately, he calls with 88 and his hand holds.  I'm down to $15,000.  Done.  Very next hand, I'm dealt QQ on the button, and shove my massive stack.  The same dude calls me again, this time with JJ, and I win the hand set-over-set.  Had I folded my KJ, I would have been sitting on $200,000.  But, that's life. . . .  One hand later, I jam A2 for $45,000, get a call, and double up.  Two hands later I ship A8 and again double up with A-high.  Just like that, I was back in the game.  In retrospect, had I not shoved KJ and doubled the following hand with QQ, I most likely would not have jammed with either of the subsequent Ace hands, and so my stack would have been about the same.
 
Another thirty-five minutes or so passes, and we hit the money at eight players.  We then quickly lost another, as the blinds rose to $50,000 / $100,000.  Yes, that's not a typo. $50,000 / $100,000.  Every hand took three-times a long as normal, just having the dealer counts the stacks, et cetera.  With a total of 2.1 million chips in play, it was plain stupid.   Even though we were only down to seven, it was time for a chop.  First place paid $1,600 or so.  An even chop would have been $581, but a few people still wanted to play to the end.  Sort of absurd, but what can you do?  So, we decided to each take $500, and to pool the additional $81 to give first place another $500 or so.   I ended up busting sixth, then had to sit around another 40 minutes for the game to end to get paid.  Mercifully, heads up lasted a mere hand when the button shipped pocket threes, got called by Ac 9h, and saw four clubs hit the board.  Game over.
 
After having zero luck at these Showboat donkfests for the better part of a year, of the last 6 I've played, I min-cashed one, bubbled another (out 8th with 7 paid), and chopped.  Always a bit more fun to walk away from the table with some cash.
 
-P3
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Maybe one of the poker gods looked at your credit card statement from last June. : o )

    Congrats on the chop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats and wishing and hoping for many more of these to come.

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gentlemen . . . a good tournament run always leavings me waiting all week to hit the tables again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. March 16th starts the series at Chuck. DP has some events in March and a big series in May. April brings a series at Borgata.

    So, plan accordingly.

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, GP. I'm looking forward to playing some more tournaments at the Chuck. I can 100% guaranty my finishes will improve there . . . given that I busted out first my only previous event. Yeah. Embarassing.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds just about like my weekend. We chopped three ways in the tournament here. Congratulations on the "In the Money".

    ReplyDelete