DC

DC

Monday, April 22, 2013

Eaten by the Fish


Saturday was just one of those days.  At least, that's the story I'm sticking to.  I refuse to believe I am as bad a player as the results would suggest. 
 
After a losing session Friday night at Showboat, I rolled over to Borgata Saturday around noon, and immediately got a seat.  About 10 minutes in, some dude that resembled Johnny Depp from Fear and Loathing (Sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt and all) sat down with his girlfriend.  The dude didn't know how to post, and made a huge production of it.  His girlfriend sat silently (apparently, at least smart enough to know that anything she said would target her as an even bigger fish).  They both bought in for $100.  Within a hand or two, it was readily evident just how bad they both were.  Hunter lost his first $100 when he called flop, turn and a $55 river bet on a T 9 K 2 T board with . . . a 9.  He reloaded and lost his second $100 about 20 minutes later when he again called down with middle pair.  His girlfriend, for her part, lost a quick $100 and reloaded as well.  I was just foaming at the mouth waiting to get into a hand with either.  I ended up getting into a hand with both.  Neither ended well for me.
 
My first hand was against the girl.  She limped and I raised to $10 with AQ.  She called.  Heads up to the flop of 337.  She checked, I bet, she called.  Turn blanked.  She checked, I bet, she called.  River blanks.  She checks.  Now, I know she was calling down light with everything.  Still, she had put $60 into the pot already.  There were no draws.  She could have a mid-sized pocket pair.  But, something just didn't smell right.  I checked back, and she tabled J3.  Good times.
 
Later, it was Hunter's time to best me.  I raised to $12 preflop with KJ and Hunter calls.  The flop was A Q 7 with two spades.  I bet, Hunter called.  Seems familiar.  Turn is a T hearts.  Broadway.  I bet, Hunter calls.  River is a spade.  I bet, Hunter calls and tables T2 spades for the flush.  Yes, he played T2 heads up for $12 pre-flop.  Well, I guess they were suited.
 
I played 2 hours without winning a hand.  Several of my losses were big hands.  This screencap of my notepad reflects my contemporaneous suffering:



 
Of the hands above, the Cowboys was the most interesting.  As indicated in the notes, I raised to $12 preflop and got calls from two limpers, one of whom was a solid player.   The flop was 8 T 9 with two diamonds.  He donks out for $15, and I re-raised to $45.  He shoves $165 on top.  My gut told me he had a monster draw.  I really felt like I was ahead . . . at least for the moment.  Ultimately, I folded.  He showed his flopped straight.
 
I reloaded twice -- a sign that I felt I was not playing bad poker, but rather, just getting unlucky.  I had just topped off again (in for $500) when I finally dragged my first pot:
 
I'm sitting on $289 or so, and looked down at QQ in the hijack.  A woman raises to $10 from early position and gets a call from a solid player.  While I'm thinking about how much to raise, the button slides $10 forward and calls out of turn.  Interesting.  Given the two calls and his inclination to enter the hand, I decide to repop to $55.  The button is the only caller.  Again, interesting.  He was inclined to only call $10 in position; then he decides to just call $55 with two people behind.  And, I did not think he was a particularly bad player from what I had seen.

The flop comes down K 7 2.   Yes, it's fun playing QQ post flop out of position.  I opt to check, and button checks back.
 
Turn is a 5.  I check again.  I figure I'm either way ahead or way behind, so I want to keep the pot as small as possible.  Button bets out $50.  I insta-call, trying to look unafraid. 
 
River blanks and Button bets out $100.   There's $330 in the pot, and I'm getting 3/1 for a call.  I fairly confidently rule out AA or KKK, as I have to assume this player would have four-bet preflop with that strong a hand (particularly with two players yet to act).  AK might make sense.  But, even here, is he calling $55 preflop hoping to hit his hand?   In the end, I make the call, and he tables TT.  Nice to get a little bit back . . .
 
I ended cash play for the weekend down $435.  Not the weekend I was hoping for.
 
***
 
Saturday night, I decided to spare my ego any more destruction, and opted to play the 7:00 at the Showboat.  It got 150 runners (factoring in rebuys), which is about par for the course.   I played well, and built a decent stack.  With blinds at $2,000/$4,000 and around 50 players left, I looked down at 99.   After one limper, it folds around to the woman on the cut-off.  She raises to $24,000.  Pretty big raise from that position.  I read her as not wanting much action.  The way this tournament works, you really need to run deep to make any real cash.  I don't want to play 7 hours to win $100.  I want to be busting out or chopping.  I opt to shove my 99.  The woman calls and tables AQ. 
 
Flop is KJ 4. 
Turn is a 9.  Set.  Nice!  She's down to 4 outs.
River is . . . of course . . . a T.
 
A fine finish to a brutal weekend!
 

 -P3

10 comments:

  1. Nobody ever told you that J-3 is da nutz?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a problem with the second hand detailed, but have MAJOR problem with the first:

    My first hand was against the girl. She limped and I raised to $10 with AQ. She called. Heads up to the flop of 337. She checked, I bet, she called.
    >> WHAT DO YOU ENVISION HER CALLING WITH? This is the blankest of blank flops. Do you have an overpair or any piece of this board? You only have 2 overcards. She's calling any and all bets, and has proven this to date. You put a feeler out there and she called.
    Turn blanked. She checked, I bet, she called.
    >> Why are you betting here? Are you trying to get her off the hand? She's not folding. You can bet anything and I'd bet she'll call - no matter her cards. She likes her hand and that's all. You have ZERO showdown equity. You're building a pot for her to drag.
    River blanks. She checks. Now, I know she was calling down light with everything. Still, she had put $60 into the pot already. There were no draws. She could have a mid-sized pocket pair. But, something just didn't smell right. I checked back, and she tabled J3. Good times.
    >> Sanity finally prevails. I'm glad that you didn't fire a third barrel. You need to adjust your game to the players at your table.

    It took me a long time to realize this in a live situation, but as better players, we're not trying to make our opponents make the "folds of their lives." In other words, if they have an Ax hand and it's an Ace high board, the broad realm of 1/2 and a lot of 2/5 players are never folding here, despite your bets and representation. So what do we good players do? Value town the hell out of them when you flop a good Ace. Believe that our AK or AQ are going to be good a very high percentage of the time, and try to get most stacks in the middle.

    Your hand with AQ vs. a 733 board. You cbet - standard. Blank turn? Shut it down. The only hand you beat here is 54 - but there's a *MUCH* wider range of hands that have you beat, if not CRUSHED. Two or three barreling a player like this is like lighting money on fire. Remember: value value value when you hit, and check check fold when you miss.

    FWIW, I think the second hand you got very unlucky.

    Now to read the rest of the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Meister, sorry . . . was going off my notes, and got the hand wrong. The turn was an A... (not a blank). I was continuing on the flop, and then hit my card on th turn and bet it... Hopefully, that makes more sense!

      Delete
    2. I take it back then. Solid check through on the river. I'm 50/50 erring on the side of betting the river there if the turn is the A. Especially against this opponent.

      Delete
    3. Because, yea, otherwise I'm not firing a second barrel against this fish (who is going to call down with any 7 or any pocket pair . . .)

      Delete
    4. I can certainly see the argument for betting the river there against this girl... Part of my check was not wanting to look like a jackass paying this chick off for three streets and doubling her up!

      Delete
  3. FWIW I put her on 7-2 in that hand. Wow, did you get unlucky last weekend. Basically whatever cards your opponents needed to hold preflop to beat you post flop, they held. Sometimes poker really sucks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rough weekend PP, mama said there would be days like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P3 - we need more posts from you, buddy!

    :-)

    s.i.

    ReplyDelete