DC

DC

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Zoooom . . . Desert

Trudging through another day-and-a-half at the office before lifting off for Vegas Thursday morning.  Leaving D.C. at 11:00 with a layover in Phoenix.  Should hit McCarran at 3:00 p.m.  No complementary First Class upgrade on the flight to Phoenix, although it did go through for the 35-minute jaunt to Vegas.  Um.  Thanks.  On the bright side, at least I can score my first free cocktail of the trip . . .

Of course, as it generally happens just prior to vacation, after a solid crisis-free two months at the office, things started to blow up last Friday.  Matters that have been quiet for 6 months suddenly re-emerged.  Clients called with projects that "must be done" in the next week or two despite any conceivable reason for any deadline whatsoever.  I've decided not to worry about it.  I'll deal with it when I get back.  Hell, maybe I'll hit some sort of a Mr. Cashman jackpot, or parlay a satellite into a main event ticket into a few million dollars and not even have to return to work.  In short, a lot can happen in ten days.  At least that's what I'm telling myself (in reality, of course, no one has ever left Vegas rich after spending a week grinding $1.25 video poker or donking $65 tournaments at the Flamingo . . .).

I've found the key to a ten day trip to Vegas is pacing.  I plan to spend 3 or 4 hours a day poolside at Signature or MGM.  My IPhone is full of podcasts, and I have a few books ready to go (including Ben Mezrich's new one, "Straight Flush").  I plan on working out every day for an hour or so as well (you've got to earn your beers . . .).  I'm also strongly considering taking a quick two day trip to Phoenix to catch the D-Backs-Dodgers series at Chase Field Tuesday and Wednesday -- a vacation from my vacation, courtesy of USAIRWAYS miles and SPG points.

But there will be plenty of wagering.  While my goal is to focus mainly on poker ($1/2 NL cash and some tournaments), the lure of the Devils Game, otherwise known as video poker, will most certainly prove irresistible.  It always does.   And some hands of black jack will be played.  I mean, after my most recent trips to AC, I'm due for a nice run.  I have to play.  And, of course, I'll be out to improve on my bases record -- 18 and 5 the past to two summers on sides and totals.  It's actually the one thing I've done well at.  I have a system.  I can't tell you what it is.  But it exists.  And it's never let me down.  Seriously.  Of course, for every ticket I cash, I generally lose twice as much playing VP at the bar while watching the game.  Some might call that a "leak."  I call it just plain fun.

In the end, I don't go to Vegas in hopes of winning money.  I know I'm going to lose.  I just want to have some fun . . . hang out at the pool . . . have an adult beverage or so . . . check out some live music . . . watch some baseball . . . enjoy some fine steaks and good wine . . . and, oh yeah, earn some sweet, sweet (like, very sweet) tier points (sitting on 73,000 Mlife points and 13,655 Harrah's points at the moment).

In closing, hope to see some of you over the next week or so.

- Pete  

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Amazing how work always gets ready to kick your ass right before a vacation, isn't it?

    Sounds like the perfect degen trip. Maybe you can stake TBC a couple thou?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently processing a loan from my 401K for such purpose. When a can't miss investment opportunity presents itself, you put the cash together no matter how . . .

      Delete
    2. It looks like he can now beat the game at Suncoast for $60/day. After a few months of staking ... my goodness, you'll be richah than evah, brothah!

      Delete
    3. Perhaps we can put together some sort of hedge fund-like investment vehicle if more people want to get in on this.

      Delete
  2. I'm 10 days away and cannot wait to get out there. It seems to be coming so slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck. Have a gr8 time.

    Don't forget to try the heads-up poker machines near the craps tables in Cosmo or near the poker room at Aria.

    As mentioned before try at least one deep stack event.

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've played those head up machines before. For limit hold'em, they get expensive, fast. Plus, no sweet, sweet tier points....

      Will definitely head over to the Rio for a DS.

      Delete
  4. Also, a punk - (Lightning, Pete, everyone who is going to Vegas)... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Video poker? No man, the game you want is Video Blackjack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but I get really angry when people sit down at the game next to me. I need to be able to focus and concentrate completely . . . on the dealers angels breastesessss

      Delete