DC

DC

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Bad Luck and Crying Witnesses

Yes, I'm still alive. Although it's been a tiring past 5 days.  I left for AC Thursday morning, and had to come back early Monday (Labor Day) and head straight to work to prepare for a Wednesday deposition.  I ended up working 7 hours on Labor Day in a steaming hot office operating under a holiday HVAC schedule.  Tuesday, I was up by 5:00 am to edit and revise some letters before spending close to 15 hours (yes, 15 hours) preparing a witnesses for a 30(b)(6) deposition.  Then, yesterday, after 3.5 hours sleep, I was again up at 5:00 am doing some last minute preparation before the actual deposition.  While details would not be appropriate, suffice it to say at 3:30 PM, after about 6 hours of testimony, I found myself taking my witness for a walk around the block trying to get her to stop crying so we could proceed with her testimony.  It's not every day your corporate designee, in a 30(b)(6), breaks down in tears during a video taped deposition, about corporate insurance issues.   THREE TIMES!!!  I mean, she wasn't testifying about how someone killed her fucken puppy!!!  Anyway, it was a long and shitty day.
 
Anyway, in happier news (or, if we take a results-oriented view, crappier news), I did get a couple of sessions of $1/2 in at Borgata over the weekend.  Decent hands were few and far between, and any semblance of luck eluded me.  Friday, I played 4 hours and dropped $57.  The hand of the day was as follows:
 
PPP looks down at 66 on the cut-off.  UTG opens to $10 and gets 3 callers.  P3 is sitting on about $290 and obviously calls.  Flop is Q(h)  6(h)  K(h).  It checks around to me and I bet out $40 (just under pot).  UTG and one other player folds.  MP, young and agro, calls, and an old lady calls.  The turn is a black 9.  Young agro tanks and contemplates a bet.  I suspect he's semi bluffing his heart draw.  Eventually, he bets out $75.  I'm prepared to shove on him, but Old Lady beats me to it, shoving her last $255.  Slim chance old lady is bluffing here.  She's hit one of the two draws.  I fold.  Agro ultimately folds, and Old Lady shows the flopped flush.  Nice slow play, I guess.  Now, if she flats the turn, I've really got a tough decision to make.  Fortunately, it didn't need to be made.
 
I played another 3.5 hours Sunday at Borgata and dropped $143 (a total of $300 in the hole over the two days).   Again, no real hands.  In fact, late in the session, I was dealt AJ in early position, raised to $10 and got re-popped to $35 and laid it down.  It was about the best starting hand I had all session.  Two notable hands:
 
I limp with 74 off from the big blind, sitting on about $250.  We go 5 to the flop of 844, with two hearts.  Pretty nice.  I lead for $13 and get two callers.  Turn is a third heart.  I check, middle position bets $35 and late position repops to $90.  Fuck me.  I fold my trips.  Middle position calls.  Turn is the 7 of hearts.  Middle position checks, late position shoves, middle position calls and the hand is flush over flush.  Fuck me.  If the god damn 7 hearts hits the turn instead of the river, I triple up.  Sometimes, timing is everything in poker.
 
I bit later, I'm sitting on about $230 and getting bored.  I limp into the pot with Q9 spades.  Mistake # 1.  We go heads up to a 936 (two clubs) flop.  Dude leads for $10.  I raise to $35 with top pair, Q-kicker.  Dude calls.  Turn blanks.  Dude checks, I barrel for $60.  Mistake #2.  Dude calls.  I'm done with the hand.  River is the A clubs (putting the flush on the board).  I check and dude checks back and flips over AA.  Um.  OK.  I guess limping AA UTG CAN be an effective play . . . at least against me...
 
I basically packed it in after that hand, knowing I was not playing good poker and had lost my patience. 
 
Anyway, it's Thursday already, and I'm planning on heading back to Harrah's tomorrow to spend the weekend in AC before heading up to the J-E-T-S opener Sunday morning....  Perhaps I'll get some luck this weekend.
 
 

8 comments:

  1. funny thing happens when boredom meets poker. yr money vanishes. funny story about the crying chick thou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands 1 and 2 are very well played IMO. In hand 1, shoving the turn over a bet and a call would not be good. What hands are you getting value from with the shove. I guess maybe KQ or like AhQ? I like flatting if it goes bet, call.

    But you aren't slow playing as much or seeing monsters!

    Hand 3...uhhhhhh well you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As to hand 1 - if the turn had, in fact, gone bet, call, I'm definitely not shoving in that spot. In fact, my inclination, particularly given the Old Lady's play, would still have been to fold my set in that spot. I don't think she's calling without a monster (I'm still not worried about the young guy). Plus, if I call, I doubt we are getting to show down without another BIG bet (or shove) regardless of the river card. And, given how much I would have committed to the hand by that point, and the size of the pot, it would be hard to fold absent, perhaps, a 4th heart hitting the board . . .

      Delete
  3. After hearing about all the hours working on the deposition in the hot office, not sleeping, working more, deposing a witness for six hours, all I can think of is...maybe living in a box isn't such a bad life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's all about trade offs . . .

      Delete
    2. still prefer a tent. i know i am a snob. also ppl dont live in their boxs or whathaveu. just sleep there. lmao. just picked up a used truck wheel . i am going to use as a firepit. SCORE. gets cold in colorado .

      Delete
  4. PPP, are you serious about going to see the Jets? Have you gone loco?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. beginning of the GENO era LMAO. i shouldnt say shit my RAIDERS r starting PRYOR. but i have a feeling DARK HORSE SPECIAL. lol.

      Delete