DC

DC

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Virgin Trip to Maryland Live!

I finally made it out to Maryland Live! Saturday afternoon.  After the 30 minute drive from my house, I arrived at 12:00 and was seated within 5 minutes after a new table opened.  I grabbed the 4 seat on table 37 upstairs and bought in for the full $300.  The room is nice.  Cool vibe; nice tables and chairs; good spacing between tables.  Many of the dealers and players were familiar from Charles Town.  Although the play was far less agro than the standard in West Virginia.

I won a couple of early hands by raising big aces and continuing on missed flops.  I was sitting on about $355 an hour or so in when this hand occurred:

A(s) T(s) in middle position.  I raise to $12 and get three callers.  Flop is K(s) Q(s) 3(d).  I continue for $25 and get two callers.

Turn is a red J giving me broadway and the redraw to the nut flush.  I again lead out, for $55.  I wanted two calls and was hoping I could price someone in if they were drawing.  Both villains call.

River blanks.  Pot is bloated.  Both players are very capable.  I thought about bombing the river to make it look bluffy.  But, in the end, decided to bet out $125 - a large bet on its face, but only about half the pot.  I was hoping that if villains had decent hands, they would recognize they were getting better than 3-1 and make the call.  Villain 1 tanks, but ultimately folds.  Villain two makes the call and tables T9 for the lower straight.  I scoop a nice pot.

An hour or so later I had another interesting hand.  I raise A(c) K(d) under the gun to $16.  Two callers, including villain 1 from the hand above.  The flop is J(s) A(d) 7(d).  I continue for $32 and villain 1 calls.  Turn is the 4(d).  I don't want to slow down and seem scared of the diamond.  Plus, I have the K(d) in my hand.  I lead for $58.  Villain calls.  Fuck.   The river blanks.  I'm pretty sure I'm beat.  But I know that if I check, I'm pretty much letting villain take this hand from me with a big river bet.  I consider a blocking bet, but ultimately opt against it.  If villain has a worse Ace, I expect him to check back.  Instead, he fires $85.  I fold.   My top pair, top kicker costs me $100+ and I don't even see a showdown.  Feel like I played it miserably.  A few minutes later, villain and I lock eyes and he says, "nice lay down."  Um.  For who?  Guess I'll never know.

10 comments:

  1. so did u have a winning or losing session overall P3? i dont know if i would have lay down the last hand. what was the villians table image? and what was the table image u were displaying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both Villain and I had pretty TAG images. I think he gives me credit for a big Ace in that spot, especially after I open UTG with a decent raise. I think if he has a weaker Ace he's happy to check back the river and not turn his hand into a bluff. Don't think he had any reason to think I'd fold the river to an $85 bet. I do think my TPTK was beat in that spot.

      Delete
    2. ok cool. how many pairs of pants do u own?

      Delete
    3. I have 4 pairs of paints and 33 shirts. But most are in a suitcase which I have to get back from the cleaners.

      Delete
    4. that is a good pants/shirt ratio.is that common with lawyers?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Went to the Prime Rib. The place is actually pretty good. I'd say on par with Mortons/Ruths' Chris, etc.

      Delete
    2. what did u order? do they sell PABST BLUE RIBBON?i like it in the tallboy.was it comped?

      Delete
  3. Nice winning session it sounds like... Good to hear that it was easy money for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah its a nice room. Think you can bet a bit more on the turn in hand 1...I like 75-85. There are so many 2 pair type combos on that board. That exponentially leads to larger river bet as well. But yeah getting called in 2 places is always better than 1 spot obv.

    Hand 2 is such a game flow spot. You are reppping pretty big and he still bets. But it is a smallish bet really. Tough spot and really read dependent.

    Sounds like you booked a decent session tho. GG

    ReplyDelete