DC

DC

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Goals & Traditions

As sadistic as it may sound, I enjoy running.  Especially during the afternoon when I use it as an excuse to get out of the office for an hour and get some fresh air.  Unfortunately, my history with jogging is checkered.  I've suffered knee injuries and other issues in the past.  And, the older I get, the slower these ailments heal.  In light of this, when I began running this year, I vowed to take it easy.  Nevertheless, I also set a goal -- to run 225 miles for the year.  Why 225 miles?  Because of this:
 

225 miles is the exact distance from my hometown (Bethesda, MD) to New York City.  Although jogging 3 or 4 miles every other day (in addition, of course, to lifting and other less strenuous cardio in the gym) doesn't seem like much, I found this to be a motivating visual.
 
It took nearly ten months, but the goal was reached this week. 



And, while I'm still typically running relatively short distances, my times have vastly improved since January when I was regularly huffing though 9:45 to 10:00 minute miles.  Most of the time, I'm now hitting 25's or even 24's for three miles:
 
  
 
My new goal is to clock a 5k in under 24 minutes.  I need to shave about 30 seconds off my best.  Something to shoot for.   
 
***
 
In other news, today is Halloween.  I seem to vaguely recall Halloween being a fun holiday growing up.  I recall shaving cream becoming contraband the weeks leading up to Halloween, with stores refusing to sell it to minors, and our efforts to acquire the same.  I seem to recall melting the tip down around a needle, turning the can into a foam-firing weapon, which we'd use to terrorize other kids.  Sometimes, eggs were also involved.  When we eventually got bored, or ran out of ammunition, we'd trick or treat.  In short, Halloween was an excuse to be a dick and collect free candy. 
 
Nowadays, my perspective is a bit different.   For the past ten years or so, I've maintained the same Halloween tradition: I work as late as possible.  Then, I head home, unscrew the light above my porch, and retreat inside my abode.  Once inside, I sit with the lights out and pretend I'm not home.  It's not festive; but it beats dealing with a bunch of punk kids in shitty costumes looking for handouts.
 
And, on that note, Happy Halloween.    

7 comments:

  1. i dont believe this blog ,counselor. 1st , u r too lazy to put a registration sticker on yr car BUT u have the energy to unscrew the light from yr front porch. 2nd kids trick or treating in a condominium? plz. but gl on yr running goals . how far is it to vegas? it seems yr fellow blogger grouchie needs some motovation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grrouchie is kicking ass in Vegas! He don't need motivation from me!

      Delete
    2. have u read his last blog,counselor. he needs u to b his marine drill instructor. KILL KILL KILL

      Delete
  2. I used to run a lot. I blew a hamstring in my 20's and recovered fully without medical attention and went on to run many 5 and 10 Ks in my 30's into my 40's. Best 5K time was 20:23 I puked at the finish line. I used to get that running high and loved to run. I never had more energy then when I ran 6 days a week. I am in my late 40's now and have not run for many years. I hope to start again. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since when did you become the grumpy old man?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those bastard contractors at gnome hepot turned P3 in2 mr wilson

      Delete