DC

DC

Friday, October 25, 2013

Incompetence and Frustration

As much as this blog may lead people to believe my life revolves around degeneracy and having a good time, that's not an entirely accurate portrait of Pete P. Peters III (yes, I just added the III.  If RG can do it, why can't I?).  I mean, I've been a lawyer for 15 years.  I clerked for two years; I then spent over a decade at one of the biggest firms in the world; and that transitioned into my current job.  Hell, even before law school, growing up on Strong Island, I worked pushing carts and stocking the dairy aisle at the local supermarket for 6 years during high school and throughout college.  I fucken hated that job; yet, I did it.  I've never been canned/laid-off from anything.  The fact of the matter is that, while I've certainly had a lot of fun over the years, when it's time to work, P3 III gets the job done. 
 
As a result, I sort of expect competence from others . . . And this leads to the source of my current frustration . . .
 
. . . As I mentioned previously, I'm in the process of renovating my condo.  The kitchen is first up on the list.  I've been dealing with this project for about 3 months now, from the design stage to where I am now -- awaiting delivery of appliances/cabinets, et cetera on Wednesday, with demolition to follow.  To get to this point, I had an initial design meeting.  I then had the contractor measure the kitchen.  I had two more design meetings to set up the layout.  I had another meeting to pick out appliances.  I had a flooring contractor come in to take measurements and provide an estimate on tile-work.  I then had another design meeting to pick out counters, colors, finishes, countertops, etc.  When it was all finished, I had yet another meeting with the contractor, who came by again to re-measure to ensure that the cabinets, counters, appliances, et cetera, would all fit the design scheme. 
 
This was followed by nearly a month of tying to schedule and coordinate deliveries . . . with demolition . . . with installation of the flooring . . . with installation of the kitchen. 
 
Finally, as mentioned above, everything is scheduled.  The cabinets/appliances have all come in from the manufacturer and are awaiting delivery, which is set for Wednesday.  The finish line is in site.
 
***
 
Last night, while watching Thursday Night Football, the thought occured to me -  I hope all this shit will fit through my front door.  My main concern was the center cabinet -- a rather large cabinet.  A silly thought.  Of course it will fit.  The contractor has been over to measure twice.  Surely he would have thought about this.
 
I get to work this morning, and this thought is still gnawing at me.  I call my design consultant, who's employed by a company I won't name (hint:  it rhymes with gnome repo).  I voice my concern.  She tells me the cabinet in question is 33x36 and says she'll contact the contractor just to verify all is OK.  Shortly thereafter, the contractor calls.  He says, "most front doors are 36 inches.  That's standard..."  That's great, but I'm pretty sure my door is NOT 36 inches.  I drive home during lunch and measure.  The doorway in question is 32.5 inches wide.  Good times.
 
Apparently, this potential issue simply escaped my hired professional contractor.  Indeed, rather than measure the opening to my place to make sure all the appliances/cabinets would fit without problem, the contractor assumed my door was a "standard" 36 inches.  Now, as a result, I'm looking at scheduled delivery Wednesday of cabinets that I can't even fit through my front door.  Better yet, I'm not sure what this means with respect to the design of the kitchen in general, and the remaining cabinets which have already been manufactured based on the design specs and are awaiting delivery.  I'm a lawyer, not a contractor.  But I assume that if one piece of the puzzle gets taken out of the game, it impacts all the remaining pieces to the puzzle.  In other words, I'm not sure the solution to this problem is as simple as just replacing the one corner cabinet.
 
I emailed both the designer and contractor to let them know that the current cabinets are not going to fit through the door.  Now, I await a solution from their end.  I mean, there is a reason I choose not to tackle this project on my own. 
 
I should have just sold my place as-is and bought something new . . .  Fucken incompetence. 
 
 
 
 

16 comments:

  1. reality sucks. i bet TBC doesnt have these problems.as long as, the stripper pole,karaoke machine,and the kegerator get installed and work properly . u r golden, ponyboy. i dont know which part of the blog is more unbelievble the contractor not making proper measurements or u watching carolina/tampa bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stripper pole will fit. Only worry is whether the strippers can make it though the door (this ain't Vegas, after all)

      Delete
  2. It would be a pain in the ass...but you might be able to remove the door and its frame temporarily to get the clearance you need. That would require everything to be delivered in one day...and put the door back in place...but it would allow you to keep the current design and you already have....and you have a contractor on hand to do the work...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. Problem is, its a condo. I doubt the association would give the OK to remove the frame and molding. Definitely a consideration, though.

      Just bought a bottle of Macallan 15. Perhaps the answer will become clear after a few glasses

      Delete
  3. Why did the condo designers install an interior door in the entrance doorway?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps our friend TBC is a tad brighter than we give him credit for. No remodeling with his box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true. just dont ask him to get rid of that microwave .LMAO

      Delete
  5. Home Depot is a Terrible contractor. I've had nothing but problems with them. My friends and family too.

    Not trying to be a worry wart, but get prepared for a long hard struggle with them.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many years ago I spent a summer doing moving and storage work. When an over sized unit would not fit through a door, we simply turned it until it would fit. We took a lot of doors off the hinges, but never removed a frame. I enjoyed the workout that job provided everyday, but I got canned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tino, I think this is the contractor's hope at this point. Going to do a "dry run" today with a cardboard cut out and see if we can angle it in. Which is awesome because I love missing time from work for this stuff....

      Delete
    2. LOL.sarcasm is an art and u r an artist. this is yr medium. lol

      Delete
  7. any fanduel update P3 i signed up 4 draftstreet.com. sameidea.played in 2 dollar game .came in 36th won 10 dollars. BIG BALLING.is this how TBC feels after a big win. 8 bucks added to my crown royal velvet bag roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FD seems to be a lot like poker - a bit of skill and a lot of luck. I deposited $100 and have $154 in the account now. So much depends on when coaches pull players, etc. Particularly in college. Penn state's suckiness killed me Saturday when Urban pulled both Miller and Hyde early in the third when the game got out of hand . . .

      Delete
    2. true.that is the trick. those blowout kill yall.does fanduel have deposit bonus? draftstreet does. just saying.won a 5 dollar DON nfl fantasy draft. top 50 get 10 bucks. calvin johnson was a fantasy owners wet dream vs the BOYS.fantasy nerds jizzed all over their vintage NFL jersey. tc,counselor

      Delete
  8. SWEET going to c pearl jam. hopefully they dont play their new shit i heard it and wanted to kill myself like that old lady in the movie AIRPLANE.wtf happen to that seattle sound

    ReplyDelete