DC

DC

Monday, November 25, 2013

Around the Horn (1 through 10)

Played a 5 hour session Saturday at Maryland Live! starting at 10:30 am.  The game nearly put me to sleep the first hour or so.  After a while, the table became a bit more lively.  But the game remained well within my grasp.  It was one of the few times I felt I had an edge over nearly every spot at the table.  And that, folks, don't happen often.
 
Seat One: There was one agro Asian kid in the 1 seat.  Standard Beats and sunglasses.  I admired his creative chip--stacking abilities.  He was very Tag.  Always opening to raises, and re-raising often.  I don't think I saw him lose a hand.  Early on in the session, I made up my mind to simply avoid the kid.  No reason to play against him given the remainder of the table. 
 
Seat Two: There was a somewhat passive kid in the two seat, who I've played with before.  Not a threat.  I remembered him because he loved to bet/fold the river.  I saw him do it last time we played together.  He'd lead the flop, turn and river . . . get raised on the river . . . tank, and fold.  He did it twice Saturday too.  There's something to be said for getting value out of your medium strength hands.  But, maybe he should think about check-calling the river on occasion.  It was hard to watch.  He burned through two $200 buy-ins in a few hours and was whittling away his third when I left.
 
Seat Three: The three seat was an old lady with a "Bally's AC" T-shirt on.  Apparently, she loves to gamble.  She loves Atlantic City . . . and she don't care who knows it.  A real shark at the table too.  I mean, when she raised pre flop I had no clue what her range was.  Was she raising suited one-gapers?  Pocket pairs?  Just trying to steal?  Working on her table image?  I'm use to looking over at this type of player at the $3/6 limit game; but to see one up close and personal at a no limit table was never before experienced by this fish.  Her meta-game rose to a level typically unseen at a $1/2 game.  Much like the Asian in the one seat, I avoided the old lady . . . unless, of course, I felt like playing whatever hand I had in front of me at the moment . . .  
 
The Four Seat: The four seat was a balding guy in his fifties, sitting on about $80 and apparently trying to make it last all day, lest he be forced to go home and spend time with his wife.  Indeed, this was my strongest read of the day.  There was no fucken way this guy was going home until his spouse-appointed curfew reached expiration; and he sure as fuck wasn't risking her money . . .  Hell, I saw this guy check the river in position with a straight.  He also checked the river with a set of 8's on a dry board.  He barely played more than 10 hands over the five hours I was at the table.  He limp-called a few of my preflop raises, and promptly folded when I c-bet my Ace-high.   I liked playing with him. 
 
The Five & Six Seats.  The five and six seats were a middle age Russian couple.  I've played with the guy before (although I couldn't for the life of me remember where).  He's competent, but must have been card dead because he too was short stacked and nearly silent except for a brief rush about 4 hours into the session.  His wife was wonderful. She raised QQ or better and bet and bet and bet post flop.  She limped AJ or better and check / folded post flop.  She also limp /folded small pocket pairs.  The phrase "playing the hand face up" came to mind . . . just a little bit.  I played against her twice, and she got the better of me both times.  The first hand, she limped, and I opened to $10 from the button with QJ spades (yes, I was bored).  The flop was 9K2 rainbow.  I bet the flop, and she called.  The turn blanked.  She checked.  Um.  Yeah.  Ma'am, might you have a King?  I check back.  The river is an Ace.  She leads out.  AK, perhaps?  I muck.  She flashes her big slick.  I act like I'm surprised: "Very nice hand, ma'am . . ."  The second time we went head to head, she raised two limpers to $15 and I looked down at 77.  She was sitting on less than $100.  She clearly has QQ+.  I end up calling, hoping the two limpers and perhaps one of the blinds will come along and I'll hit my first set in a month.  As I was hoping, we did get two more callers.  But, of course, my 7 did not fall.  She bet the flop, I folded.  However, some other jackass called two more streets and paid off her QQ.  Just amazing. 
 
The Seven Seat:  The seven seat was perpetually empty.  Some reg sat down there briefly, but, apparently, had just wondered in and sat down instead of signing up on the relatively long list for $1/2.  He got busted by the floor about 15 minutes in, and got "removed" from the room for the day (yes, they're not fucking around any more with line violators at Live!).  Later, a 30+ black dude sits down, puts his shit down on the table in front of the cup holder, and disappears for 20 minutes.  He comes back, buys the button, plays two hands, and gets back up for thirty minutes.  This prompts the eight seat to joke that he is playing two tables at once. . . . Poker humor.  Delicious.  The dealer asks if he is serious and looks like he is about to call the floor.  Apparently, keeping track of the rack and the bad beat drop is more than said dealer can handle . . . 
 
The Eight Seat.   As for the eight seat . . . he was a friendly guy, prolly about my age . . . Virginia accent.  Fairly bad player.  Limped a lot, played a lot of hands, paid off a lot of draws, and showed down second best a bunch of times (likely because he was calling small raises with hands like KT, A7, et cetera).  Around noon, he and the ten seat started pounded T n T's.  Surprisingly, this improved neither of their play.  Mr. Eight seat got into a hand with Mrs. Moscow at one point.  She opened preflop to $12 and he called.  The flop came down Q high.  She fired and he called.  He starts talking to her a lot about how he's scared of her and how he thinks he's crushed and on and on.  The turn blanks, she fires, and he calls.  And talks some more.  I'm thinking he's about to stack her with his set.  Then he flashes me his AQ and grins like a buffoon.  Silently, in my head: "dude, you ignorant fool.  Stop drinking the Tanq and Tonic's and start paying attention.  You are crushed . . ."  River blanks, she fires, he calls.  She flips her cowboys, he mucks and says, trying to laugh the hand off, "next time, just tell me you have kings . . ."  I can't resist -- this time, out loud:  "dude, she pretty much did . . ."  Mr. Virginia either doesn't understand my comment or just ignores me in disgust.  It always amuses me when someone can play their cards so straight forward, and, yet, still get paid off on their monsters by some jackass paying no attention to their play.  It makes me think that, perhaps, I over-complicate the $1/2 game sometimes...
 
The Nine Seat.  Smart.  Handsome.  Sophisticated.  Good sense of humor.  A subtle reach towards his chip stack was enough to induce fold after fold.  He didn't so much "soul read" as much as he harnessed some sort of telekinetic energy which caused others at the table to bet, fold or act otherwise based on his whims.           
 
The Ten Seat.  The ten seat was a nice enough guy . . . Married.  Thirties.  Pretty average at poker.   He didn't spill his chips away; but he also wasn't threatening in the least.  Several times, he got involved in a hand with a pre flop call of a raise.  Post flop, he'd give one of the following two speeches before making a call:  (1)  "OK, I'll do you a favor and make the call . . ." or (2) "OK, I'll donate a bit."  Each time, he was top pair or better.  About three hours in, I raised KJ from the cutoff and he called from the Button.  The flop came out KTJ.  I lead the flop, and he retorts with "OK, I'll do you a favor . . ." as his chips splash the pot.  I tell him, "thanks, but I've seen the kind of favors you do . . ." as I lead out again on the 7 turn card.  He again calls.  Perhaps he's more of a genius than I give him credit for, because his speech induces me to check the river to him.  He checks back and flips KT.  He jokingly complains that I'm taking all his chips.  I offer to flag down the waitress for him, suggesting that, perhaps, another gin and tonic will improve his game.  He agrees; and I'm pleasantly surprised to be sitting at a table that's turned somewhat fun at the early hour of 2:00 pm.
 
I was grossly card dead most of the afternoon and unable to take much advantage of the situation.  I was also forced to watch the Duke - Wake Forest game on the poker room TV's.  Biggest bad beat of the day.  In the end, I was able to scoop a few pots, and steal some hands that no one else seemed to want.  I walked away with a $145 profit on the session.

Next up -- Wednesday evening, Borgata . . . quick pit stop on the way up to Strong Island for Thanksgiving.
 
-Adam 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. P3 -

    Nice post, sir! Very enjoyable read.

    s.i.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, s.i. Have a great holiday.

      P.S. I'll be in town MLK weekend. Perhaps you and your daughter can meet up to play a few hands!

      Delete
    2. ;-) I'd like that. I'll check on her availability.

      s.i.

      Delete
  2. I don't remember being the nine seat over the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep judging by the table make up you were def at MD Live. Hope you crushed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I read your previous post I was so confused for a moment when you signed off as Adam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult to know who this guy really is. Pete? Adam? TONY?

      Delete