DC

DC

Thursday, November 21, 2013

My New Identity

A while back I wrote about my experience living life as Pete P. Peters (Hi. My Name is Pete).  In case you don't recall, or don't have time to read the old post, here's the long and short of it:  I started using the name "Pete" at Starbucks.  After a while, the folks there got to know me.  They think my name is Pete.  Now, when I'm at Starbucks, I respond to "Pete."
 
There is a bagel shop in the ground floor of the office building where I work.  They have a "Bottomless Mug Club."  For $179 a year, you get all the coffee you can drink.  I've been a member for the past several years.  I stop at Starbucks when I leave my house in the morning.  Then, when I arrive at work, I get another cup at the bagel shop.  By 10:00 am, I'm shaking and my heart feels like it's going to explode.  I'm not addicted. 
 
The bagel shop recently got a new general manager.  After a week or so, he got to know my face, and remembered that I'm "Bottomless," i.e., no charge for my coffee.  Fast forward to yesterday morning.  I walk in and he looks at me, and, I think I hear him say, "Hi Adam."  He says it somewhat hesitantly . . . like he isn't quite certain that is my name (It's not).  Now, I've never given him my name.  Neither my actual name, nor Pete P. Peters.  And, I sure as hell never told him my name was Adam.  He hands me my coffee and, this time, clearly says, "have a nice day Adam."  Good times.  It's too early in the morning to address this issue.  I mean, I've only had 20 ounces of coffee at this point; not the forty ounces necessary for me to be ready to stop surfing the Internet and actually start working.  I let it slide.  I mean, maybe he'll forget my not-name by tomorrow, right?
 
Fast forward to this morning.  I'm still "Adam."  And, my failure to correct him yesterday has likely alleviated whatever doubt he may or may not have had about my identify, and reinforced in his mind that my name is, in fact, Adam.  So, apparently, unless he gets transferred, or until I get fired, I guess I'll also be responding to "Adam" from this point forward.
 
Frankly, it's all starting to become hard to keep track of.
 
- P3 a/k/a Adam  

18 comments:

  1. PPP you are intelligent, have a good job and know how to balance work/life/fun - this blog is a pleasure to read instead of the degenerate POS that is TBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How surprised would you be to learn the truth?

      P3 IS, in fact, TBC! They are one and the same. TBC is a character played, convincingly, by Pete. He is now trying to float a new character, "Wacky coffee guy, Adam!" out to see how the public responds.

      Personally, I'm looking forward to more exploits by Adam! Bring on the bottomless!

      s.i.

      Delete
    2. s.i., I tried it out in the mirror the other night; and I think it worked out well. Can never have too many characters....

      As for me being TBC . . . come on, man -- you've seen us both in the same room at the same time. Or, did you?

      Delete
  2. Why spill the beans at this point, s.i.? People were loving the show. One would think someone would have figured it out by now. The initials even rhyme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. does this mean no stripper pole in the condo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story.

    I only wish I'd thought to give you the name "Adam" on my blog when i first mentioned you instead of calling you Pete.

    Is it too late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booking a trip to Vegas on MLK Weekend. Perhaps I'll be Adam then.

      Delete
    2. Definitely should give it a try. If you do, be sure to introduce yourself to all the ladies you meet as , "Madam, I'm Adam" because, of course, that's a palindrome.

      Delete
    3. If anything can break my vegas cold streak with the hooker parade, that will be it!

      P.S. I'm booked for Bally's Friday-Monday

      Delete
  5. I used to work on a small team at my office that had three different guys named Dave. I used to hang out socially with two of the Daves and there were a few people who suddenly started calling me Dave (by association I guess).

    Like you I don't have the patience or will to correct them. One guy in particular has been calling me Dave for close to a decade now. The stupid part is that we are required to wear picture ID badges at my office. If he would just glance at that badge one time he would see my correct name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is sort of like me being "Pete" at Starbucks. I mean, I pay with a credit card (mmmnnn, sweet, sweet SPG Points) which has my real name on it. Yet, no one has ever questioned it.

      Delete
  6. Yes. Hard to make much hay with it. Sort of like poker tournaments- a lot of luck. Especially college. Thursday, i had NIU's two best receivers. They both ended up out injured with no points. So random. I'm a bit over even at this point. Still fun, though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true fantasy sports is like that.i like it bcuz it is weekly or daily. have a great weekend

      Delete
  7. Didn't realize there was such mystery in the world of coffee...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed there is boundless mystery and intrigue. I for example am "Number Nineteen" to a certain Starbucks at a confidential location. I think I first blurted it out as my "name" there about five years ago, in a cranky moment of rebellion against faux familiarity, and discovered a certain pleasure when hearing them call out "Number Nineteen, your venti extra-hot no-whip triple liquid crack is..." and seeing several befuddled people with a "huh what, wait, what's my number, I don't think I ever got a number" expression.

    ReplyDelete