Monday, December 30, 2013

Holiday Trip Report

I've seen a lot of depressing things in casinos over the years.  But this scene took the proverbial cake:

American Idol has no doubt produced some stars over the years.  There's Kelly Clarkson (all 240 pounds of her) -- unquestionably a star.  Carrie Underwood - also a success.  There's that Daugherty dude.  He too seems to have turned his idol performance into a successful career.  I'm sure there are others I'm missing. 
Then there was the spectacle I witnessed Friday night . . . 
The scene -- The showboat . . . the House of Blues black jack pit.  There he was.  Former American Idol winner David Cook . . . performing what was, in essence, background noise.... nuisance for black jack and roulette players . . . I mean, he won the whole damn show -- and this is what he gets?  Free shows before 20 drunk chicks in a black jack pit?   The whole thing just depressed me.  It was the low point of what was otherwise a fantastic week  . . .
I got my vacation started early.  Friday afternoon, December 21st.  Three o'clock came and I hit the road.  The Borgata was calling, and I was listening . . .
I arrived around 8:00, whipped out my black label card, and was checked in to a room on the 28th floor within minutes.  First stop - B Bar for a few adult beverages and some sweet, sweet video poker.  Within half an hour, I hit my first big hand:
This was my third time hitting deuces this year after striking out on the hand for nearly three years.  I guess I'm just on a heater . . .
Over the 6 days I spent in AC, I monkey mashed a lot of buttons.  Like, a lot.  Some of the highlights included flopped quads on a ten-handed bonus poker game:
Quad aces for $200 at Bally's:
And this sweet five-of-a-kind on a double joker poker machine:
I spent four days at Borgata, mainly just donking machines, watching football and enjoying adult beverage and fine dinning.  I had dinner at Bobby Flay's once, and Izakaya twice during my stay.  I racked up nearly $200 comp dollars and, at 2:00 am Monday night (or, Tuesday morning, depending on your perspective), I was dead even.  A total success in my book.
Yet, at 2:00 am, I still wasn't tired.  Nor was I concerned that I had to get up relatively early in the morning to drive up to Strong Island for Christmas Eve with my family.  Maybe it was the Miller Lite(s) talking; but it felt like time to make a black jack run.  I sat down at a $25 table at Borgata, and bought in for $200.  Ten hands later, I had no more chips.  But, of course, a shoe can't run terribly for long.  It had to turn.  So, I bought in for another $200.  Ten minutes later, that too was gone.  While I had made it four days without losing a dollar, my late-night-last-ditch attempt to find a heater put me into the red for the first half of the trip.  It was time to call the clock on my trip to Borgata . . .
I spent Christmas Eve, Christmas, and Thursday with my family.  A respite from the degeneracy.  Friday morning, however, it was time to head back to the Jersey shore.  I left Smithtown, NY at 6:30 am.  By 9:30, I was rolling through the empty streets of Absecon on the outskirts of AC.  I was meeting up with my oldest friend, Zeen, for some weekend debauchery; but he wasn't getting into town until later in the evening.  And it was too early to check in to Showboat where we were comped for the weekend.  So I decided to make a pit stop at Harrah's for some 100-hand VP mashing.  Two hours later, my finger aching and my heart ready to explode from 3 cups of coffee, I was dead even and ready to leave.
I cashed out and drove over to Showboat where I was able to check in early.  The dude at the front desk recognized my diamond status and offered an upgrade to the premium tower.  I wondered if he had ever stepped foot in any of the rooms at the Boat.  There is nothing "premium" about anything there.   I told him I couldn't care less where he put me, and he promptly sent me on my way to one of the finest shit-boxes Caesars Corp. has to offer.  I opened the door and immediately regretted not having paid some year-end bonus cash to stay at Borgata again.  I mean, why am I working in the first place if not to be able to spend weekends at the Borgata?
Fully disgusted with my error in judgment, I immediately hit the boardwalk and walked the mile south to Toga Bar at Caesars to watch football and monkey mash some more.  Even . . . again.
Zeen showed up around 8:00 and I was already buzzing good.  A solid 5 hours of beer will do that to you . . . even Miller Lite . . .  We caught up and grabbed some adult beverage at the bar at Showboat.  It was then that the David Cook debacle went down.  My favorite moment:
David Cook:   [general pandering to the "crowd"]
Zeen:      [standing in the back . . . mockingly raises his beer and shouts something derogatory towards the former "Idol" . . . I forget his exact words . . . something about the shittyness of the music . . . or maybe the shittyness of David Cook's haircut . . .]
David Cook: [acknowledging Zeen and saying . . . "I can't hear exactly what that guy in the back is saying; but I see him lifting his beer up . . . Cheers, man!!!! I hope you are all also having a good time!!!"] 
Pete Peters[feeling pity . . .  wondering if David Cook ever saw his life ending up like this following an American Idol win . . . playing for free . . . being openly mocked and not even knowing it . . .]
After what Zeen and I both witnessed, there was only one thing left to do -- Patron shots.  20 minutes later, the natural post-Patron-shots-progression reached its zenith, and Zeen and I ended up a Johnny Rockets eating 2000 calories of fatty goodness:  
After burgers, we went back to the bar for one last mistake . . . Another round of Patron shots.  Zeen complained the shots weren't as big as the opening rounds . . . I suspect the bartender was trying to protect us from our own devices.  Within half an hour, we were donzo for the evening . . .
Saturday morning, I awoke at the crack of 11:00.  I decided to man-up and hit the boardwalk for a 5 mile run.  While the exertion helped a bit, I could tell it was going to be a sluggish day.  Zeen hit the racebook to bet some ponies;  I decided to finally play some poker.  I sat down at a "Super $1/2" table at the Boat and bought in for an un-super-sized $200.   I got aggressive from the start.  First orbit, after 5 limpers, I popped AQ to $16 from the big blind, and everyone folded.  10 minutes later, I looked down at AA from the button and again raised a bunch of limpers to $15.  Again, no callers.  OK.  Twenty minutes later I looked down at KK from the button.  After several limpers and an $8 raise, I re-pop to $25.  The big blind, who is sitting on about $150, tanks, and Re-Raises to $60.  It folds around and I snap-shove.  He calls and tables AQ.  Cowboys hold (eat it, Rob!!!).
About half hour later, I decide to limp in late position with A(d) T(h).  I flop middle pair on a Q(d) T(c) 3(d) board.  Early position agro bets out $15.  I call.  Turn is the T of diamonds giving me trips and the nut-flush redraw.  This time, agro splashes out $50, over-betting the pot.  I'm not going anywhere . . .  The river is the 2 of diamonds.   Agro checks to me and I bet $85.  He calls.  I table the flush and he starts bitching about how I called him down on the flop and turn with the Ace of Diamonds.  Perhaps in his disgust, he failed to see my Ten.  In any event . . . good game, sir.
I ended up getting KK again heads up against my agro friend.  He limped, and I raised to $12 and he called.  We saw a T44 flop.  He checked, I bet, and he called.  The turn blanked and we checked down.  River also blanked and I bet about pot ($50 or so).  He called.  Kings held again (suck it, Rob!!!).
In the end, I played less than two hours and walked with a healthy $330 profit:
Post poker, we headed over to the Irish Pub off the boardwalk for beverage.  That was followed by more beverage.  And finally, dinner over at Harrah's and additional beverage.  Zeen decided to call it a night.  I decided to take one more crack at black jack.  And drink a few more beverages.  After buying in for $200 and building my stack up to $500, I let it slip down to $300, and decided to cash out a moral victor . . . 
2:00 am Saturday . . . after 6 days in AC, I was done . . . 
Finally tally: ($300).   Not a bad result!
- Pete


  1. sounds like a great time,counselor. i c u found some of dem good machines. have a happy new year

    1. You too Anger. Enjoy your legal weed tomorrow. I assume you'll be on line at 8:00 for an ounce?

    2. of course. when to a weed growing seminar here in loveland. very interesting stuff

  2. You have become the aristocratic version of TBC!

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. I really enjoyed reading about your holiday trip. It reminded me of my summer Cuba vacation with my friends last year. It is one of the best holiday destinations that offer outstanding sports activities.