DC

DC

Monday, December 9, 2013

Skins Weekend

This weekend was my friend's 40th.  Yes, another one bites the dust . . . We spent Friday night at Ruth's Chris for some filets and good wine.  I got home late, and had to be up early for "the tile guys," who were making their second attempt at installing my kitchen tile.  They showed up and, despite everything that everyone else had told me, claimed they did not need to lay a subfloor because there was already a concrete subfloor in place.  So, they simply laid the tile and left . . .
 
That evening, my friend "Jimmy" came down from Jersey.  This weekend, instead of me driving up for the Jets game, he got the privilege of spending 8 hours on the road for the Chiefs / Skins game at Fed Ex Field.   We walked the 2.5 miles to my friend "Mr. Kim's" apartment for his birthday/holiday bash [Mr. Kim is not his name.  However, given his Korean heritage, I decided on a totally racist alias . . .].  Jimmy and I made it halfway to Mr. Kim's before making a pit stop for a few cold beers . . . and a few tacos . . . and some tequila.  It was cold.  The journey was treacherous.  It had to be done.  By the time we finished the journey, we were both feeling OK.  And, as I walked in the door, I saw Professor Kim -- Mr. Kim's mom.  I had not seen Professor Kim in several years.  We spoke for a while, and she told me about her current research on cancer and genetics and some lectures she was preparing.  I grinned like a dolt as the tequila and warm apartment air took their collaborative effect on my senses.  She then walked away, presumably wondering why her son was friends with a blustering idiot.  I do my best.  It's all I can do. 
 
After the party, Jimmy and I grabbed a few road colas and made the walk back to my place.  It was cold.  And windy.  And the walk sort of sucked.  But it beats ending up in jail on a DWI . . . Plus, the exercise is healthy.  At least that's what I tell myself.  We got back to my place at 1:00 am or so.
 
I was up at 7:30 Sunday morning, packing the car for the Chiefs / Skins game.  We made it to Fed Ex Field by 10:00.  The weather was delightful.  31 degrees and snowing.  Fortunately, Jimmy had brought the "Jets Tent" with him.  So, we set it up and just dealt with the barrage of "flattering"  comments from the locals (it's not like Skins fans can really say much about the Jets . . .).
 

 

We entered the stadium late in the 1st quarter with the score already 17-0.  Well done, Redskins. 
 
 
After enjoying the view for a few moments, Jimmy and I retreated to the Monte Cristo Lounge for a fine cigar, and ended up watching the rest of the game from there.  Nothing beats live football!
 
This morning, I awoke at 7:30 to a ringing phone.  My contractor.  Again.  He wanted to know if the flooring was done so he could proceed with the cabinets.  I gave him the thumbs up.  Then I went downstairs and walked on the tile.  It creaks.  Yes, the tile floor creaks.  The floor has always creaked in that spot; but I somehow assumed that once tiled, it would not creak.  I call back said contractor.  He says to call the tile guys and have them come out to look at it.  I call the tile guys and explain.  They show not the least bit of concern.  "Perfectly normal."  Um.  OK.       
 
So, the cabinet installation is ongoing as I write.  Hopefully, the flooring is actually OK and doesn't crack.  The only thing better than going through this process would be doing it twice . . .  I really should have just sold this condo and started fresh!
 
   . 
   

4 comments:

  1. "That evening, my friend 'Jimmy' came ..." ; "We walked the 2.5 miles to my friend 'Mr. Kim's' apartment ..." -- shades o' Rob

    "I really should have just sold this condo and started fresh!" -- shades o' Tony

    Hmmm ... PPP = TBC = Rob? I wonder ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lightning, you must be drunk... :)

      Delete
  2. So a couple of those empty seats at RFK belonged to you. That place was desolate by halfway through the third quarter. It looked like there might have been 5,000 butts in seats if they were lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm use to the meadowlands be fairly "undersold" during Jets games. But this was a whole new level.

      Delete