DC

DC

Sunday, January 5, 2014

First Session of the Year

I played a 3 hour session at Maryland Live yesterday starting at noon.  It seemed to me there weren't many soft spots at the table.  I played very few hands, and walked with $350 profit.  While I was overall happy with my play, I still feel like I may be too timid.

The first hour I didn't see a playable hand.  I wasn't even able to limp my blinds.  I tried to stay patient and just wait out the run of Q5, 96, K2....... Eventually, the cards turned and I began taking down some pots.

I had some difficulty with the guy directly to my left.  He was somewhat short stacked all afternoon, sitting on between $100 and $150.  He three bet (or shoved) nearly every hand he played.  Twice he was called and showed down TT both times.  One of the first hands I played, I raised AK to $17 from the button after 4 limpers.  My friend to my left, sitting on about $140 at the time, raised to $60.  I'm sitting on about $300 at the time.  Clearly, I know he makes this move with a decent pocket pair based on what I've seen.  I figure I have two overs at best, and decide not to take the flop.  Too weak?

Half hour later, I raise AQ to $15 and this time, my friend shoves for $85.  Again I fold.  This time, he shows AK.

An orbit later, I again raise AQ (to $10 this time, given the lack of limpers).  And on cue, Lefty three bets to $30.  I still feel like I'm behind here, but decide to call, if for nothing more than to not get pushed around.  The flop comes AT8 with two spades.  I check to Lefty and he shoves his last $80.  I take a bit of time to count the pot, and to once again try and put him on a range.  Last time around, he three-bet with AK, which would obviously have me crushed.  TT flopped him a set.... As would AA, although unlikely.  Not sure he three bets AT.... Probably unlikely.  I thought for about a minute, tops, before calling.  Lefty flipped QQ and I stacked him.  As he was walking away, he muttered about me taking so much time to make the call.  Too timid?  Is this simply a snap call?

Anyway, one of my poker goals this year is to rid myself of "monster under the bed" syndrome and welcome a bit more variance into my life.   Not sure if I started out the year too nitty yesterday notwithstanding my goals....

15 comments:

  1. It was proved that you made great reads on both hands where you discovered what he held. Sometimes I think it's a blessing in disguise to fold early on to raises. I think it's less likely he shoves his queens into the ace-high board if you had called either of his reraises earlier. Up 350 for 3 hours is a great session. You should enjoy it, maybe take up drinking... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet, mancard reinstated. LOL. i dont mind the fold of AK earlier to a 3bet..if he had 10sor better like u said overs at best and who know the limpers may have had yr outs(ace rag,KQ,KJ,blah,blah).and the AQ hand u just out flopped him.shit happens.i agree with coach about the shove bcuz of yr folds earlier. good times counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good way to start the year. Be careful not to over analyze.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the 1st hand....there is about 96 in the pot and it costs you $43 to see a flop....so you are getting about 2-1 and you have his range down to mostly flips....you have blockers to AA and KK.....i think its a clear call...you are getting 2-1 on a nearly even money scenario....I would probably call and fold if I whiff the flop...and shove if I made TPTK.....if you hit TPTK and he hits his set...well...you double him up....there is no magic there....if you miss and he jams....you muck it

    On the AQ hand....while you are not ahead of his range......you just can't fold super premiums to this guy every time....calling here and taking a stand may not pay dividends immediately ....but it sends a message....I am not folding like a girl to all your raises.

    So...hand 1...I call and see a flop getting 2-1
    Hand 2...I play it just like you did....suckout with my 3 outer and stack the chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. That AK fold bothered me....

      Delete
  5. I disagree with Bill on the AK hand. I think flatting is the worst option pre (by a lot actually). To me this is a shove if his range is like TT+ and maybe AK. I don't hate folding if his range is on the stronger side. Flatting and folding missed flops is terrible IMO.

    On the AQ hand I maybe cram pre. I hate calling $20 when he only has $80 more behind. I probably cram and see 5 cards. But as played you can't possibly fold the flop. lol at him jamming QQ there.

    In hindsight though, he wasn't really "picking" on you. Looks like he had legit hands each time and just unfortunate that he seemed to have them the same time you did.

    Good sess though. Let go of the MUBS and embrace the variance!! Wait til you start crushing NLHE and start playing PLO...oh boy the variance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian. On the AK hand, I assume you are considering a shove (as a small underdog) just because of the semi-favorable pot odds after his re-raise? (And, as I type this, I realize what the obvious answer is . . . . LOL).

      P.S. I saw your recent blog post. Great results!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the comment re: results.

      Yes pot odds and the non-zero chance that he "LOL live poker" folds here (even if it is like 5% it creates an overlay). But again if his ranging is such that he only has QQ+ then by all means don't be afraid to fold pre.

      Delete
    3. He has $80 behind and the pot is $96...we are actually lowering our pot odds here...but adding the benefit of seeing all 5 cards.....instead of 3. I think there is zero fold equity here after he puts in 42% of his stack preflop.

      so we are lowering our pot odds considerably $123 into $96 (to put him all in with effective stack sizes)...to see an additional 30% of the hand with no more decisions

      I dunno....I never like a fold here ...and shoving when he is so short stacked kills our pot odds

      Delete
    4. PPP sorry if derailing but this is important stuff IMO...ranging really is the key to developing as a player.


      Bill, calling and folding on whiffed flops is terrible, weak tight poker IMO. Not sure what stakes you play but this can almost never be a recipe for winning poker. Be glad to shed more light on this if there is a need but should be apparent.

      Shoving and seeing 66% (not 30%) more cards (3-->5) is standard or folding. But it really is all about ranges and equities. Against a range of TT+ and AK we are about 42% to win if we get all in pre. I agree that he rarely folds but there is a non-zero percent chance he does find a fold somehow (maybe 1-3%???). If we treat his raise as an effective jam, there is $165 in the pot (17+8 (limps)+140 jam) and a call costs us 123. Thus our pot odds are 165-123 or roughly 1.35-1. This means we need to win ~42.7% of the time to profitably call here. It is marginally -EV but is -EV nonetheless. If there is 1-2% chance of villain folding it becomes marginally +EV

      Now the key is ranging our opponents. If we believe he would 3b with a tighter range...say QQ+, AK than this is a trivial fold. If he would 3b 88+, AQs+, this becomes a trivial jam. The key is understanding your opponent's 3b tendencies and ranges.

      This is the math pure and simple. I think you are getting a bit wrapped up in pot odds but not then using that number to come to a conclusion in the hand.

      Glad to answer any questions along these lines.

      Delete
    5. Don't ever apologize for analyzing hands, etc. here !!!! Learning is the best part about having this blog.

      Delete
    6. r we still talking bout poker? LMAO

      Delete
  6. But how much did you lose to the machines after you left the poker table and how many points did it earn you?
    Important details left out sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually won another $150 on VP whilst watching the KC game at the bar. Earned some points, but don't really care about MDL! points . . . . Once Caesars Baltimore opens in August, I doubt I'll ever step foot in the place again . . . Over all, good day gaming . . .

      Delete
    2. like a pimp.MY HERO. mancard is at GOLD STATUS. platinum as soon as u trade in that infinity prius and install that stripper pole

      Delete