DC

DC

Friday, February 21, 2014

Vegas and Rock'n'Roll

  • I'm planning on cutting out of this work joint a bit on the early side this evening.  I may or may not have some floor seats for Kings of Leon at the Verizon Center tonight . . . I may or may not pre-party a bit . . . and I may or may not, but definitely do, have a full-on suite booked at the W Hotel stumbling distance from the show.  Tonight could get messy.

  • Tomorrow night is steak and wine night with the boys out on the boondocks of Maryland.  My contribution will be a couple of good bottles of Cabernet I've been saving for a few years.  Should be a solid, low-key evening.  If we're lucky, weather will be nice enough to grill outside...

  • Next Friday, I'm feeling a respiratory illness coming on.  I may or may not call out sick.  Purely coincidentally, I have an 8:35 am flight booked that morning from DCA to Paradise, NV . . . three nights comped at Bally's Jubilee Tower . . . and a red-eye flight back from McCarran Sunday night.  I plan on walking straight into the office Monday morning with a slight buzz and a pocketful of winning baseball futures . . .  I'm tired already just thinking about it . . .

  • I will also be sick April 25th . . . Because of a work trip to Denver a few weeks ago, I missed the OAR show at Revel (I bet Ray Rice wishes he had skipped his trip to Revel too).  Then, earlier this week, I learned OAR will be playing three nights at the soon-to-open Brooklyn Bowl at the Linq, the last weekend in April.  I was fully booked within an hour -- the 8:35 flight from DCA, three nights at Paris, and the red-eye back Sunday night.  Beers, gambling, steaks, and live shows . . . sounds OK by me.

  • Last month I booked a five day trip to the MGM over Memorial Day weekend.  I'm really looking forward to this one.  It will start with a drive Friday night to Philly . . . a 7:30 am flight from Philly to Vegas . . . 5 nights in Vegas . . . a Wednesday night redeye back to Philly . . . an immediate drive east on the Expressway to Atlantic City . . . and three nights of gambling during the day and trips to Citizens Bank at night for the Mets/Phillies series.  Anyway, as if this doesn't sound debaucherous enough, yesterday, I found out that Guns and Roses (or, at least a fat Axl), will be playing the Joint at Hardrock the weekend of May 24th.  Presale tickets were in hand within 10 minutes.  This may not be the GNR / Metallica show from the Meadowlands I caught back in high school, but it should be interesting at the very least.

  • And finally, what would summer be without a DMB tour?  Tickets went on sale last week.  Looks like I'll be heading out to Chicago over 4th of July weekend for two shows on the lake.  I'll also be flying out to shows in Berkley in August at the Greek Theater.  This will, however, be the first year in the last 7 or 8 that I will not see DMB here at Bristow.  Instead, we'll be at National's Park for the Billy Joel show that night....

Aside from this, life is pretty boring at the moment . . . 

11 comments:

  1. Absolutely insane! btw -- the 4th of July weekend I will be taking my youngest daughter to an anime convention just outside Chicago. There might be some possibilities there ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah; let me know. I'm flying in Thursday and leaving Sunday. Should be largely free during the days.

      Delete
  2. My wife & I will be at the Billy Joel concert too! Maybe we can do a quick meetup?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, busy, busy.

    I wanted to clue you in on a new pub at MGM....I guess they call it a Sports Bar. It's called Tap and seems to be a lot cheaper than that 1842. The burger was also better. Check it out. It's practically on top of the poker room, so you can't miss it.

    If we meet up there on one of your trips (Apirl? Memorial Day?) I'd be more than happy to break into my vault of comps for the two of us (I should have some left).

    In the mean time, have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would skip GNR unless u r there just to mock them. which is fun but if looking 4 a show then pass, counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. was the concert that u r talking about in high school? the monster of rock show .it had metallica,gnr,poison,motley crue,kingdom come,and europe.i saw it in tampa . good times. 2 bad metallica is the only 1 that stood the test of time. i think tesla was in the show too.hopefully going to c slayer here in denver at the fillmore in may.thinking of a road trip to c tool in reno.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly your fault that I can't stop trolling TBC's blog. I had never seen it until I clicked your link so ipso facto PPP is to blame.

    May God have mercy on your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome. It's fascinating. I can't fully explain. But it's internet crack

      Delete