DC

DC

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Running Bad at Life

If life were a poker game, I'd be running bad at the moment.  I mean, not like having my flopped set beaten by runner runner flush.  Not even like losing with the dumb end of the straight.  More like getting to showdown with top pair, second kicker, and seeing villain turn over top, top.  I mean, I'm not gonna quit the game for good; but I'd really like to win a hand . . .

First hand -- In November, I got rear-ended (not in a good way) on the way to work by some old Asian lady.  I was sitting in traffic in my G37 Coupe.  When traffic started moving, I decided to be a nice guy, and let some lady make a right turn into my lane in front of me.  Old Asian Lady ("OAL") must have seen traffic moving in front of me and, rather than actually waiting for me to start moving, decided she'd Must. Drive. Immediately, and rammed into the back of my car.  OAL could not have been nicer about it.  She apologized . . . recognized this would be a hassle for me . . . and was otherwise cooperative.  Hell, she even followed up the accident by leaving me a voicemail wherein she totally admitted fault and apologized.  I believe she started the message with, "Hi [P3]; I'm the nuisance who caused you much aggravation this morning . . ."  Clearly, there was no dispute as to fault.  However, OAL really, really (like, really) wanted to settle this outside of insurance.  I gathered this was not the first time she had Must. Drive. Immediately'd and plowed into someone or had otherwise done something stupid in her car (which, for the record, was some sort of 20 year old beater).  After all, as she noted, there was not a whole lot of damage to my G.  Basically, the rear bumper was dinged and there was some separation where it connected to the side panel.  Ultimately, however, after giving her offer some thought, I opted against it, and made a claim with her insurer. 

Now I'm glad I did.  I took the car in for an estimate through her insurer in December, and they cut me a check on the spot for $990.  At the time, I felt bad for not just settling with OAL as she had requested.  Three weeks ago, I finally brought the car in to the Infiniti autobody shop to get another estimate from them and to have the work done.  This time, it would cost $1,200.  OK.  I could have eaten $300.  I still felt bad for OAL. 


Now, it's three weeks later.  I still don't have my car.  Apparently, once the back bumper came off, they noticed damage to the side of the car and yada, yada, yada . . . it would cost $3,000 to fix.  Infiniti contacted OAL's insurer to get the new work approved.  That took a week.  The actual repairs took another week and a half.  At this point, had I accepted OAL's offer, the rental car cost alone would have been close to $3,000.  I no longer feel bad for not playing ball with OAL.  However, I am sick of driving a rental.  XM Radio alone makes the nearly 3 hours I spend commuting (16 miles) back and forth to work each day tolerable.  Having to listen to AM/FM for three weeks has been harder than I'd imagined.  And, unlike my G, the seats in the rental barely adjust, and my back has been fucken killing me.  I really want my car back.  And, while insurance will cover the work and most of the rental, I did opt to pay an additional $15 a day (on top of what insurance would cover) to get a slightly upgraded vehicle.  I figured, for three days, the $45 would be no big deal.  Three weeks later, in light of the upgrade and a few "minor" miscellaneous fees, I'm still going to be out of pocket a solid $500 or so. 

Hand 2 - Two weeks ago, I noticed a somewhat concerning, potential medical issue.  I won't go into much detail, aside to say that, according to Web MD, I had either sustained (a) trauma; (b) an infection; or, most troubling, (c) prostate cancer.  Two weeks later, the issue seems to be resolving.  But it created a fair amount of stress / mental preoccupation the past few weeks.  There are certain ailments you do not want to have to call up your doctor to make an appointment for.  I knew the cute receptionist would ask what the nature of the appointment was, and I was not looking forward to giving her an answer . . .  Hopefully, I will not have to . . . 

Hand 3 - My good friend of 15 years is getting married this weekend.  I'm in the wedding party.  No tuxes, but I had to buy a new light gray suit for the occasion (the groomsmen are all wearing the same).  I got a call from the store yesterday that said suit had been altered (to fit my 5' 1" frame), and decided to go pick it up during lunch.  So, I drive from downtown D.C. to the store in Rockville, and the sales gentlemen convinces me to try it on to make sure it fits. OK.  I go into the dressing room and take the suit out of the garment bag.  I immediately notice chalk marks on the pants.  On the one hand, it was good that they were able to do the alterations in a week's time.  On the other hand, it was bad that they had not, in fact, actually made any alterations.  Yep.  I try it on and discover that they had not done a thing to the suit.  Now, while the store was apologetic, it took close to 15 minutes to convince them to actually do the work in 48 hours, since I needed the suit for this weekend.  After a successful argument, I return to the dressing room to discover that, notwithstanding the fact that there are at least 5 other dressing what-ever-they-are-calleds open and readily available for use, some jackass has decided to lock himself in the one that I was using . . . the one where my pants, shoes, shirt, wallet, [rental car] keys, phone, etc., are openly displayed.  I mean, are people fucken retarded?  I wait for 5 minutes or so (even though it's the middle of the day and, like, I sort of need to get back to the office).  They guy does not come out.  So, now I'm in the awkward position of having to knock on the door and say:  "Um; sir . . . I was actually in the middle of using that room . . . those are, like, my clothes and shit in there . . ."  And, jackass actually responds somewhat aggrieved.  For real?  He ends up sliding my shit out under the door.  Whatever.  Now, I guess tomorrow night, I'll get to go back to the store and attempt to pick up the suit again.  Because, like, after a day in the office, there's nothing else I'd rather be doing.  Good game.

Hand 4 - In a related note, I learned this week that I will have the "honor" of giving the speech/toast at the wedding.  Ugh.  I think I'd rather play Hand 2 again.  I mean, I've done this a couple of times before . . . many years ago.  I hate public speaking in general.  Yes, despite being a lawyer, I really, really (like, a lot) despise speaking before crowds.  I get nervous.  I stress.  I'd rather get punched in the neck.  And, this toast comes with an added bonus - since both my friend and his [sucker] future bride are lawyers, many of the guests in attendance will be local members of the bar.  In fact, opposing counsel from my most recent case, works with his future wife and will be in attendance.  And, trust me when I say we did NOT get along during the life of the case.  Rather, every phone call was contentious, and was generally followed by a nasty letter memorializing our respective insults.  I think at one point, I actually called him "incompetent."  So far as I know, he has no idea that I am good friends with his "associate."  She was too scared to tell him during the litigation that, not only did she know me, but that I was basically best friends with her fiancĂ©.  Well, the cat will be out of the bag this weekend.  And, for some reason, this just makes me more nervous about giving this speech.  I never want to make an ass of myself . . . and I certainly don't want to give this dickhead the satisfaction of watching me humiliate myself in public.  So, notwithstanding other things on my plate at the moment, I need to spend a fair amount of time actually putting some words together for Saturday night.  If I've learned anything over the years, it's that the value of preparation cannot be overstated.  And, sadly, preparation takes time.     

Hand 5- Last Tuesday I went out for a run.  I was on a cement trail in downtown D.C., next to the Potomac River by the Watergate Hotel.  There were two very, very cute girls running in front of me.  Presumably, GW undergrads.  I'm about 4 miles in to my run, and feeling OK.  I give it some gas, and blow by them.  I'm about 100 yards ahead when, sans warning or reason, I trip over my own feet and faceplant.  Thud!  Fully cognizant of the two smoke shows close behind, I immediately get up and continue running.  I feel blood trickling down my arm and my shin.  I see the blood on my palms.  I definitely do not want them to catch me and see this.  I forge ahead, a bit dazed and shaken, but still maintaining pace.  I get back to the office and it takes about 45 minutes for the bleeding to stop.  No biggie.  Shit happens.  And I don't think I need stitches.  However, later that night, I get home and realize that I must have pulled a muscle in my rib cage during the fall.  It starts tightening up to the point I can barely lean back on the couch.  By the next morning, it's basically excruciating to try and even get out of bed.  Refusing to give in, I run again Wednesday afternoon.  Every breath is painful.  Fast forward eight days . . . it's better, but it still hurts to breath.  Another dent in my metaphorical chip-stack . . .   
 
In the end, none of these hands are going to stack me.  But combined, and with some late increased pressure in the office, the result is that I feel like I'm running a bit bad.  Like, to the point where I am seriously considering cancelling my trip to Vegas next Friday because I don't want to be seen out of the office for the day . . .  We shall see how it goes . . . I'm hoping the cards to turn around soon.

17 comments:

  1. hmmmmm. dont run when it is breezy.also,anotherreason to get rid of the G.1200 DOLLARS but a lovetap? get a truck or something.now,u have even more reason to go to vegas.the plusEV is HUGE with all these bad beats.eat a fried oreo or twinkie 4 me,counselor.P.S. i am thinking u had blood in yr stool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that things turn around for you fast my friend (oh, and by the way, I'm going to steal a quote from you)... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so what do u think of the JETS getting chris johnson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it. A little thunder and lightning with Ivory.... First time I've been hopeful in years. If the secondary is OK, the defense should be good. Could be a wildcard team

      Delete
  4. hate to see things going bad for those i feel close to, for there isnt many i do want in my life, most people i want to leave me alone, except for the few of u in the inner circle. wish i could be of assistance, but everyone gives me shit cause im not really in a position to be of any assistance. u might be glad to know the ticket to KS has been purchased, and ill be leaving tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear Tony. I hope you have a good time at home and appreciate being with your family

      Delete
    2. Hmmm ... Hand 1: Just damn bad luck.

      Hand 2: We tend to think the worst when we have something go wrong health-wise. Best to try not to worry and get answers ASAP so that you can sleep at night.

      Hand 3: I got married at noon. The night before, I found out my tux was incorrectly altered. Got my pants back the next morning -- three hours before the wedding. Crap like that happens, I guess. Can't believe about the guy in the waiting room, though. Very strange.

      Hand 4: Yikes. I have always liked public speaking so it is more difficult for me to relate. Tough situation with the enemy.

      Hand 5: Welcome to a bad part of being middle age. Chit happens. Guessing that you might have had separated cartilage in your ribs. Hurts like hell, makes getting out of bed almost impossible. And ... it sure seems like you have take a lot of trips lately. Las Vegas will always be there. Stay home, show up and work and recover instead, maybe?

      Good luck!

      Delete
    3. none of these hands are brutal in themselves. Just a recent session of bad variance. prob best to skip the vegas trip so you don't feel guilty. vegas will still be there. plus, you have no bail and chain or kids so you will easily find another time.

      Delete
  5. hmm.. ball and chain. though it also possible you potentially have no bail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir, I don't leave the house without bail . . . money

      Delete
    2. and various business cards of bail bondsmans and criminal lawyers.

      Delete
  6. Wow, you have been running bad. Sorry to hear. Sometimes life just keeps hitting you in the balls over and over again. Instead of running like God you're running like you really, really, REALLY pissed God off.

    Hopefully, things will turn around for you soon. If not, there's always VBJ.

    When are you back in Vegas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. Pretty minor stuff all things considered . . . just took the opportunity to complaint a little!

      I'm booked for Vegas next weekend, but I'm thinking about skipping it. If I do, I'll be in vegas May 24-28

      Delete
    2. push it back two more weekends to June 6-9

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, this trip is part of my yearly vacation with my College friends to go on a Mets road trip. After the 5 days in vegas, I'm flying back to AC thurs - Sunday for the Mets- Phillies series with them. So, makes sense to take off Monday, Tuesday, Wed. as well)

      Delete
  7. Pete , google LaSorda- Bevaqua rant. Should make you laugh.

    ReplyDelete