DC

DC

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Epilogue

It's 6:00 local time, and I'm at Elway's Bar & Restaurant at at DIA.  Watching game two of the Rangers-Pens series and having a few pre-flight cocktails.  Awaiting a late flight home.  Another weekend comes to a close.

Friday night sort of sucked.  I decided to spend the night at the Westin near Dulles airport to make the early morning flight somewhat more tolerable.  After dinner and some drinks at the bar while watching game 1 of the Rangers-Pens series, I got back to the room around 11:00. With the alarm set for 5:00 am, rather than going to sleep, I decided to watch the Comedy Central roast of James Franco.   When it was over, at mid-night - 5 hours from the alarm -- I couldn't get to sleep.  And the longer I laid awake, the more agitated I became.  I saw 2:50am  go by on the clock before finally getting some sleep.   

Two hours later, I was on my way out the door.  My plan to stay near the airport and get an extra our sleep was a clear backfire....

 I arrived in Denver around 10:00 am Saturday morning, picked up my rental at Hertz, and made the 40 minute drive to Arvada, Colorado, just Northwest of Denver.  I spent the morning and early afternoon hanging out with my niece.... we went to the park, and played with the legos I had brought her.  Kids are fucken funny (for those of you that have them . . . yes, I know I'm let to the party and stating the obvious).  Mini-P4 has an entire playground of equipment at her disposal.  But she spends 90% of the time climbing on the brick retaining wall surrounding the park and playing with the wood chips lining the ground.   

Around 4:00, Mini- P4 took a nap and I drove into Denver to check into the Westin.  I met my brother and my dad around 5:00 at the Wyncoop Brewery -- one of my old haunts from May 2012 when I spent 5 weeks living out of the Oxford Hotel a few blocks away.   After a few beers, it was off to Coors field for game 3 of the Mets-Rockies series.



Every once in a while, I need an up close and personal reminder about how painful it is to be a Mets fan.  On this night, after building a 6-0 lead, the Mets gave up an 8-run 5th inning.  All 8 runs given up by the young starting pitcher.  Eight runs without so much as a visit by the pitching coach to the mound, let alone a pitching change.  Indeed, with 4 runs in, and runners on 1st and 3rd, Mejia beaned Troy Tulo to load the bases.  I used the opportunity to get up and made a beer run.  Because, like, I knew  - I KNEW - Collins would make a pitching change at the point.  Yet, as I roamed the concourse for a 24-ounce miller lite, the crowd erupts as the Rockies 3rd baseman drives a first pitch fastball over the outfield fence for a grand slam.  Really?  Really, Terri?

The Mets fought back . . . twice  . . . to tie the game, before ultimately taking the lead in the top of the ninth.  I saw none of it.  I was at the Denver Chophouse with my brother and dad enjoying dinner and a bottle of Cabernet.  After saying goodnight to them, I walked back to a bar by the Westin just in time to see Kyle Farnsworth give up a pinch-hit, two run, walk-off homer.  A fine end to an otherwise great night.

This morning, I awoke early and met my family for breakfast at my brothers new restaurant.  I'd mention the name of it, but I'm afraid angerisagift might show up with his stoner crew and never leave!

The afternoon was spent chill'n with mini-p4, including another trip to the park, where she spun in a circle until she got dizzy and fell down (apparently, that is fun . . .), and played with more wood chips and even a pinecone.

Around 3:00, I finally discovered the answer to the age old question -- what's better than a ball game on a sunny spring afternoon?  A FANTASTIC FUCKEN TURKEY DINNER.  

Afterwards, it was off to the airport.

And a bit of seriousness in closing . . . After 41 years, I've sort of mastered the art of emotional detachment.  I'm not saying it's a good thing.  It just is what it is.  I'm OK being alone.  I'd prefer to be alone rather than compromise.  In fact, many times, I like being alone.  I do whatever I want, whenever I want.  But, for some reason, my niece has the ability to break through whatever barriers (conscious or otherwise) I may have.  Every time I leave her, I feel a pretty profound sadness.  I'm definitely not use to it.  I wish she lived closer . . .

(Mini P-4 Making a Breakfast Mess at My Brother's Restaurant)

(P3 and Mini P4)




13 comments:

  1. LOL. on a mission now,counselor. i got the clues.ARVADA. new restaurant,killer breakast,and as a wild card i am thinking it has some NY METS or just NY pics like twin towers,NYFD,etc,etc.and as a bonus the pic of yr niece is a clue with the emblem or such in the window.ty sir arthur conan doyle.also, i know what u mean about kids and toys. my buddy and his wife have all these toys 4 their little boy and his fav seems to b an empty 2liter bottle. WTF.craziness. glad ,u had a killer weekend with the fam. PM and i wont hold it against u,counselor. i will just crack yr aces and slow roll u if we ever play poker together. LMAO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids will do that P3. There's so much innocence and joy in every discovery of the world around them and it just sucks you in. Next thing you know you're attending their graduation from college (as I did this past weekend) and wondering "where did my little girl go and who is this amazing young woman in front of me?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Neo! Must have been an awesome moment!

      Delete
  3. did u get an edibles,counselor? i like the lemon drops myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's adorable, P3! Gotta love 'em :-)

    s.i.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like that cutie already has at least one uncle wrapped around her little finger. It never hurts to be the cool uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww That last photo is adorable - definitely worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what is that she is eating in the pic?looks like a waffle?looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo. I deleted your last post . . . You are too good a detective, sir . . .

      Thanks for understanding!

      Delete
    2. ok no worries,counselor.but it did get great reviews and i am thinking road trip with 420 crew. i am thinking like that dude on diner,drive-ins,and dives but with a faded paint cracked windshield subaru . but we visit local diners and such and match that food with local microbrews and different strains of the marijuana .

      Delete
    3. I'd watch that show!

      By the way, after sticking with miller lite (and the occasional Corona light) over the past two years (for health reasons), I broke down Saturday and had a couple of local micro brews.... Colorado has some of the best local beers in the world . . . I'm like a kid in a candy store every time . . .

      Delete
    4. grimm brothers is a microbrew or now the new term craft beer company that is brewed here in loveland. also aleworks loveland has some yummy brew too.if only there was a local cardroom, medical marijuana shop,Whataburger,and Krispy kreme donut shop that was close by.then i would b in HEAVEN or VALHALLA

      Delete
  8. Great trip report, How was the fantastic f_____g turkey dinner counselor? Great looking niece PPP.

    ReplyDelete