DC

DC

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

A Tale of Two Hands -- (Edited to Add Results)

I spent last weekend playing live poker.  No.  Seriously.  I did.  Saturday, after a few hours at the pool, I made the drive up Route 28 and took the scenic way to Charles Town, arriving around 2:00.  Thanks to Maryland Live!, there are no longer crazy waitlists at the Chuck.  I was seated almost immediately as a new table opened up.  I spent the next three hours folding cards.  In all, aside from limping a few blinds, I played three hands:  (1)  I opened from UTG with KQ with a $12 raise, and got two callers.  Flop was J-high, and I lead for $18.  Fold, Fold.  (2)  I raised to $12 with TT, got three callers, saw a flop with two overs, and folded to a donk bet; (3)  After a $5 straddle, I opened to $15 UTG with AA . . . MP shoved a TBC Stack ($35) and got a call from an older guy sitting on around $200.  There was $93 in the pot.  Perhaps a questionable move here, but I decided to make the older guy play for his stack, and shipped two stacks of red.  The older guy tanked long and hard, but eventually folded.  My aces held up to MP's QQ.  After 3 hours, I was starving, and left with $15 profit. 

Sunday was rinse and repeat.  This time, however, after the pool, I drove up I-95 to MDL!.  Here too, there was no wait.  In fact, according to Bravo, there was very little wait at Maryland Live! all weekend.  Perhaps the initial hype is dying down.  I hope so . . . because I'd much prefer to play at Live! but refuse to wait 2 or 3 hours to do so.  Anyhow . . . This session started out in the red after an early hand:

I limped from late position with 9T spades, and we went four to the flop, which was a delightful KTT rainbow.  After it checked around, I led for $12 and got one call from a solid player directly to my right.  The turn blanked and villain checked again.  I lead for $23.  He called.  The river was the Ace.  This time, Villain lead for $45.  Was it possible he had limped with QJ and was chasing the open-ender?  I hated myself, but I made the call.  He flipped KT for the flopped nutz.  Well played, sir.

For the next three hours, I played about $100 in the hole . . . right on the verge of reaching into my pocket to add on the 4 quarters I had purchased at the cage before the session started.  But I stayed patient and did not push things.  And then the rush came.  AA . . . twice.  KK.  44 turned quads . . . and 99 turned quads.  The first AA, the KK and the 4444 did not pay off.  Put I got paid with the 99, which was particularly satisfying, because it was against the solid player my right.  I also got paid with the second AA:

I was in position on the hand.  An older reg opened to $12 and got a call from another middle age reg.  When the action got to me, I re-raised to $38.  The original better called, and the other guy tanked and folded.  The flop was 46J rainbow.  The guy checked to me.  Normally, I'd fire here.  But I decided to check back to create some deception (or, at least I thought that was what I'd be doing . . .).  The turn blanked and the guy fired $55.  I slow-called.  The river dinked and the guy fired $110.  I thought about raising, but I was hesitant of JJ.  So I just called.  Villain flipped QQ and I scooped. 

In retrospect, I'm not sure if my flop check was a good play, or if it simply cost me a street of value.  Thoughts on this one? 

I left after 4 hours with a $290 profit and went to burn my $55 in free play on the double double bonus devils game (which, I actually ended up cashing out . . .).  Solid day.

And now, as for the title of this post . . . yesterday I played my first session in weeks on Seals with Clubs.  My initial 50 chips was sitting at 146 to start the day.  I am still playing the .05/.10 game.   I bought in full for 10 chips.

Very early on I raised three limpers to .35 with AJ hearts from the blind.  I got a call from a player in MP, whom I had already pegged as a LAG Donk.  Another player called from late position.  The flop was A6J rainbow.  I lead for .65 and both called.  The turn blanked and I lead for 2.15.  Lag called and late position shoved for 7.87.  I figure 66 is the only hand I'm worried about.  And that's just Poker Grump's "Monster Under the Bed" . . . So I shove it in and LAG also called to create a big pot.  River is nothing.  I flip my top two . . . Lag flips . . .  A5 . . . Yep.  Story checks out.  And, finally, late position player had ????

So, to steal a bit from Poker Meister . . . what would you have done on the turn?


ETA -- late position had 66.  Sometimes, monsters DO exist!

A few hand later, I'm sitting on [xxxx] and I get into it again with the Lag-Tard.  This time, I have AQ and open out of position to .35.  Lag-Tard calls.  Flop is Q68.  I lead for .40 and he calls.  The turn is a K.  I lead for 1.1 and he calls.  River is another K.  I check.  Lag-Tard shoves for 7 + . . .

What's the Play Here?


Results to Follow.
ETA - I rebought following my stacking.  Lag-Tard's line didn't make much sense at all.  He limo-called preflop . . . and called the flop.  It's hard to give him a K in that spot.  KQ, maybe . . . what what else?  So . . . I make the call and he flips Q7. 


I ended the session up slightly 15 minutes later . . .


I'm wondering if you can really learn anything from playing a .05/.1 game on seals.




-P3

PS.  Part Two of the Trip Report will be up Soon

16 comments:

  1. in a 3b pot we should always be betting this flop and likely never folding. Hate trapping...hate it. All it does is trap yourself into winning a smaller pot!

    Not sure of stack sizes but you should have stacked QQ on J high flop. He might even ch/raise all in on flop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noted. By way of history, I had three-bet twice previously. Once with the kings, which were mucked after a fold to my flop bet, and once with the other AA hand, which was shown because caller was all in (short stack). I felt like it was obvious to anyone paying attention that I had a hand like QQ beat, which is why I checked it . . .

      By the way, the guy who folded preflop had JJ (or so he claimed). Horrible fold preflop IMO. At the very least, I'd want to see the flop with that hand. Hell, had he called $18 more, he would have stacked both of us for a $600 pot . . .

      Delete
  2. I think the check on the flop made the jacks more comfortable here. I would have included your $300.00 in the over $280,000.00 that MOJO, Grrouchie, and myself had earned playing poker over the last few days in my post if I had read this first also... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. on the final question, call the river.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony, why do you call the river on that hand? What is your thought process?

      Delete
    2. thought process?????????????? LOL.

      Delete
  4. Have you tried 2/2 PLO and is there more excitement than in 1/2 NL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from playing some on-line micro stakes PLO back in the FT days, I've never played. While I hear rom people it's more interesting than NL, I'm pretty sure I'd get my ass kicked in a live game!

      Delete
    2. Maybe you would and maybe you would not. All it takes to try one time is $200 or $300. You can sit down and observe the action and see how you like it. They can make you pay your blinds but you don't have to put all your chips in!

      Delete
  5. 2/2 PLO is a significantly bigger game than 2/5 NL...there is no comparison to 1/2 NL. I would not advise playing in that game without significant exposure to it. I play the 2/2 game and am a semi-reg in that game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't suggest he makes 2/2 PLO a career but he should give it a try once.

      Delete
  6. About the AA vs QQ hand i am far from an expert but i don´t think the flop check is terrible now and again. You said that you would usually bet there anyway. Sure you may miss a bit of value against QQ but that is surely the absolute top of his range here (assuming KK 4 bets). By checking the flop on a relatively safe board you could make him think AJ, KJ, QJ, TJ is ahead, or even TT, 99, 88. These type of hands make up a big part of his range. You could also entice a bluff on the turn and / or river. You got 2 streets of value albeit in a slightly passive and unorthodox way. AA is still a one pair hand here and not necessarily a 3 streets of value hand. After all would he have called 3 barrels given the pre-flop action with QQ? I feel like you are replaying the hand like you knew he had QQ all along rather than against a range of hands.

    Having got to the river i think your call was right. Although i think you are ahead a very large percentage of the time, that doesn´t mean you should raise. Being "hesitant about JJ also seems wrong way to think to me, he could as easily have any set. IMO in that spot you should be thinking if you can get a better hand to fold or a worse hand to call. I don´t think a better hand is ever folding there and not many worse hands are calling (although in this specific case maybe QQ would have but that is not the point).

    I am assuming you were both deepstacked with my analysis but effective stacks would be useful/essential for any future hands.


    ReplyDelete
  7. I disagree a bit with NB. I don't necessarily think old man always 4b KK. And if he is flatting 3b with AJ, KJ, QJ he is not folding that flop. This is also a good flop for 99-TT with only 1 over. live players love to "put you on AK" too.

    Problem with checking is that it makes it hard to get stacks in by river. I just think fast playing premiums at this level is massively +EV. In fact, I think pre flop 3b can be slightly bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don´t get me wrong Brian i think that you should bet that flop a high percentage of the time and agree with much of what you say. I said that i thought checking wasn't terrible now and again, not that it was good. However given that he checked here, i was just trying to re-evaluate the situation. I also agree that KK sometimes flats, but i am generally assuming a 4 bet. It is probably wrong though to discount KK completely from his range.

      Although a jack is definately not folding the flop, it doesn´t mean they will call 3 streets or get stacks in. Also when you Check back the flop any jack will probably think he is ahead. Inducing a bluff also becomes a possibility.

      Delete
  8. the reason u lost these hands was bcuz u werent shitfaced, counselor.

    ReplyDelete