DC

DC

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Memphis Mojo I am Not

For weeks, I've been looking forward to playing a decent tournament.  So, earlier this week, I booked a room at the Sheraton Wilmington South and planned on playing the noon Deep Stack at Delaware Park.  $150 buy-in . . . $30,000 stacks . . . 25 minute levels.

Last night, I set my alarm for 8:30 am, with plans to hit the road at 9:00.  I'd take the scenic route west over the Bay Bridge and up route 301 through the eastern shore.  A 2 hour drive, which would put me at Del Park an hour before cards up.   I tried to get to sleep around 10:00.  But, 5 episodes of Catfish later, it was almost 1:00 am.  Damn, you Nev!!!

I awoke at 8:00, not quite as well-rested as planned.  Hit the road, and was registered by 11:15.

I worked my stack to $42,000 by the first break.  Feeling good.  Then . . . . . . . . . nothing.  Two hours of crap.  63, 82, K3, A4, T6 . . .  Two. Fucken. Hours.  Best hand I had was KJ.  But I was UTG and folded it.

Eventually, I was blinded/anted down to $32,000.  Bored.  Like, really bored.  Blinds were $600/$1,200/$100.  Dude in early position, sitting on about $50,000, opens to $3,000.  Action to me, and I looked down at QQ.  FINALLY!  I re-raise to $8,000.  It folds around to original bettor.  He shoves all in.  Um. Great.  I still have $24,000 chips.  Average stack is $45,000.  If I fold, I'm not crippled.  I think - what the fuck am I beating here?   Kid had played some hands; but he was not splashy.  AK is likely the bottom of his range.  And, why would he not just flat with AK?  Is he risking his stack with JJ?  He must know I have a hand, since I literally haven't played a hand in hours.  It's an easy fold, right?

Wrong.  Perhaps it was a result of playing NOTHING for two hours.  Perhaps my head had been taken out of the tournament.  I'm not sure what the cause.  But the result was a call.  

Shockingly (sarcasm alert), villain flips cowboys and I'm done.

******

I went and grabbed dinner and some beers, and planned on playing the 7:00.  But, frankly, I knew I was not in the proper mental state to play an MTT.  I was still the guy who called off $32,000 with QQ in a four-bet pot.   Instead, I went back to the Sheraton to grab a few more drinks at the hotel bar. And update this blog.

And, as if my horrible call was not punishment enough . . . I'm stuck here with a fuck-load of young kids from a local soccer tournament and their drunk and annoying parents.   I mean, the bartender clearly does not want to make another Shirley Temple for your shitty kid.   Nor does she want to pour any more waters, or place another order of chicken fingers, for your obnoxious brats.  Nor do I want to see this poor woman wasting her Saturday night serving these non-tipping fuckers.  While I don't have frequent contact with this demographic, my impression is that soccer parents are assholes.  Your kids are not adorable.  They are not special.  Even if your kid scored two goals today against 12 other  out-of-shape shits, he's still likely to be a loser at life.  Further, soccer moms are not cute.  Just varying degrees of fatness. And, if you think you are the cutest of the group, just remember -- shit be relative...  And, from what I'm overhearing, personality is no equalizer in this crowd.  As for the dads.  Go fuck yourselves.  Why are your kids/wives hanging out in the bar area annoying me anyway?  Just because your Saturday night is fucked doesn't give you permission to permit your shitty family to poison mine!  Yet, here I sit.  After my performance, I deserve no better . . .  

Vegas Thursday.  Zoom.  The future is bright.

P.S.  Fuck these annoying kids.

17 comments:

  1. Hey, I've been in that situation before, where a hand looks INFINITELY BETTER as a result of being dealt complete trash for the hours preceding. Go bother the people in the limit games or the 1/2 NL for a while - you're bound to feel better... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Coach. I think that really was what it was. But, even as I was making the call, I knew it was a mistake. I counted my stack, hoping it would be low enough that I couldn't justify a fold. But it wasn't. And then I just shipped anyhow. I suck. Whatever.

      Delete
  2. Let it out let it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOD DAMN SOCCER MOMS!!!!!!!!!!!! AAARRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!

      Delete
  3. Can't even avoid the little snots in a bar can you? I hope I kept my kids a bit more under control when they were young. Then again once they hit 10 or so I pretty much let them go and let Darwin decide if they made it to adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pete, please tell us how you really feel. Thanks.

    Jeff in mn

    ReplyDelete
  5. also,salt to the wound .yr boy TOY David Wright aka SexyCock didnt play today.EEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ALSO my new name 4 PROTARD is STUpid UNGER .it just fits. had a lot of craft beers at broken plow brewery in colorado.no worries. i dont have a car.BUT no finger foods .WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. looks like taco bell or Mcds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. also down .02 BTC damn i wish i could invest or had a higher understanding of poker to donk off hundreds at VP or VBJ like a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so no cougar/soccer moms worth a hit and run,counselor????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the rant. On the QQ hand looks like your instincts were right but IMO this is miles from an easy fold.In fact i think you did the right thing. You started the hand with 25bb almost 7 of which you have comitted with the reraise. Now there is about 42,000 in the pot and 24 to call with QQ, the best hand you have seen in ages and a monster with 25bb. Despite being a deepstack the 25 minute levels make this more or less a turbo at this stage. Time is not on your side here. Sounds like your image was pretty tight so likely he is very strong to be shoving, but i don't think i am finding a fold here at this stage of the Tourney.

    Not really sure you should be reraise folding anything in this situation (except maybe a bluff). Had you thought about him shoving before you reraised, did you have a plan? Were you hoping he would fold when you were so strong? If you are going to fold QQ in this situation to a shove then maybe you shouldn't be reraising in the first place..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last point is a good one, NBS. I didn't think through my actions if he shoved. I was in middle position, and was more focused on pricing out weak K's and A's and getting heads up against the original raiser. I guess playing QQ smaller, and folding to a bad board would also have been an option. Of course, as it was, the board would have seemed perfect for queens and, in the end, a flat call of the $3,000 would have ultimately put me on the rail either way. But, great point.

      Delete
  10. Ended up toning out the soccer parents and brats and playing some micro stakes on Seals with Lightning and Poker Meister. Had fun gentlemen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how did u tone them out??????? mass quantities of Miller Lite????? i am up .02 bitcoins bcuz of soccer.SWEEEEEEET. TY holland. i would b up more if the Blue Jays didnt fuck me over on my parlay.BULLSHEEEEEEEEEIT!!!!!!!!! .it was wunderpicks free pick and buerhle was picking too. y cant wunderpicks b like MARY JANE. she never lets me down.i need some bitcoin on SEALS ,so i can get some cheese from these 1%ers. LOL. EAT THE RICH,BABY. have a great week,biiiiiiiiiiiitches.

      Delete
  11. true .u r no MOJO. his team has been to the World Series this century. SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete