DC

DC

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Slumping Like It's April Again

As previously reported, I flew out to Vegas in mid-March to get some MLB futures down.  In 2013, I missed out on 4-0 by 1.5 games.  The Braves, Cards and Rays all cashed easily; and the D-Backs missed the OVER by 1.5 games.  While not perfection, it was fun cashing those tickets and free-rolling MLK Weekend with the proceeds.

So, this year, I liked the Reds and Royals.  A lot.  I also liked the Nats to bounce back, even though the total was high.  And I needed a 4th team.  It was between the Giants, the O's and the Rangers.  I really wanted to take the O's since I naturally root for them as my adopted hometown team.  But, ultimately, at the last minute (literally, as I was in the cab driving over to The LVH to lay the action), I decided on the Rangers.  I wanted at least one west coast team, and I wasn't a believer in San Fran.

So, in the end, my plays looked like this:

Nats OVER 89
Royals OVER 81
Reds OVER 84
Rangers OVER 86.

I also took the Rays at 12-1 for the WS.

Well, as we now know, the Rangers were dead out of the gate.  I was hopeful their offense would hold out until the pitching got healthy.  But injury hit the offense too.  And by mid-May, they were dead men walking.

The Nats struggled too out of the gate.  Injuries to Harper, Fister, Ramos, Zimmerman, etc., and an utter inability to beat the Braves, had them behind pace.  But now, healthy, the Nats are playing better ball and may hit the 90 wins.

The Reds season has taken a similar arc.  Injuries to Chapman, Latos, Mesoraco, Philips, Votto, et cetera, lead to a slow start.  Then, last month, they got healthy and went on a bit of a tear.  So much so that I took them to win the NL my last trip in Vegas (with their rotation, I could not pass up the 22-1 odds).  84 looked well in reach.

As for the Royals . . . Not sure what to say.  Who would have thought that Hosmer, Butler, Moustakas and Gordon would all slump to the degree each have?  And Aoki missed so much of the season.  Yet, the Royals got great starting pitching (including a surprisingly nice first half from Duffy) and incredible relief from the pen (Davis/Holland have been an insane 1-2 in the 8th and 9th), and stayed competitive early before becoming one of the hottest teams in baseball in June.  The 81 looked golden.

And then the allstar break came . . .

The Royals and Reds have both lost 4 in a row . . .  It's April all over again.  None of my three remaining plays are looking very solid at the moment.

On the bright side, the Rays have finally started to wake up.  After having the worst record in baseball for most of the season, they are a "mere" 8 back in the East.  It will be interesting to see whether or not Price gets traded in the next week or so. 


 Anyway, as a Mets fan, I'm just glad to still have some rooting interest in the game with August approaching.  P3 is looking forward to finishing up the second half strong and cashing some tickets again this year.

10 comments:

  1. Rangers/Rays r really surprising at how sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit they have played. NL CENTRAL looks like the division that could go down to the wire.of course the ROCKIES SUX.HAPPY THINGS THAT BOUNCE TUESDAY MOFOs

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheer up, whenu go to SIN CITY just put yr whole sock roll on the UNDER JAGS total wins. and after the season .cash out and RETIRE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't play any NFL futures last season. I'll definitely be taking some action next month . . . (two years ago I hit the Ravens for the AFC & SB, which was a SWEEET payout . . .)

      Delete
    2. NICE on the ravens,sir. i got fucked last year out the gate with the FALCONS but i am thinking FALCONS this year

      Delete
  3. The Rays lost 3 of their 5 starting pitchers in the first weeks of the season. They hit well but gave up runs like they were free drinks. When the pitching came back they stopped hitting. Very frustrating to watch. Last 3 weeks have been a big change. They're playing well now but it might be too late. I don't think Price gets traded actually. I don't think anyone makes enough of a knock your socks off deal to get the Rays to trade him. And they'll wait for that offer or make the trade in the offseason. That could change if they continue beating up St Louis tonight. Wainwright didn't last 5. And StL has the assets the Rays covet. But if I had to go with my gut, Price stays. And you cash your Rays ticket for a sweet score. I'll probably get one out of 2 right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i remember going to st pete when they were the devil rays. Mcgriff and company

      Delete
  4. news flash. DONNA DIXON is STILL HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and raymond felton got fuck over by NYC stoooooooooooooopid gun laws. so he has a hi-cap handgun and didnt threaten his soooooooo to-be ex wife but she turns it in to the cops and he gets charged with a FELONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stay in texas,mr felton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that over our first drink, we should discuss how the Rangers are a "West Coast" team... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the TB Rays tonight and they looked pretty good.

    ReplyDelete