DC

DC

Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Angry (Middle-Aged) Man




Yes there's always a place for the angry young man

With his working class ties and his radical plans

He refuses to bend he refuses to crawl

And he's always at home with his back to the wall

And he's proud of his scars and the battles he's lost

And struggles and bleeds as he hangs on his cross
And likes to be known as the angry young man

Zeen, my oldest friend, was in town with his woman . . . um, lady, this weekend.  While generalized fun was on the docket, the crown jewel of the weekend was Billy Joel at Nationals Park Saturday night.  And Billy did not disappoint.

But . . . (there's always a but), three quarters of the way through the show, Pete P. Peters became the Angry Young Man.  Could it have been that beer sales were cut off at 10:15?  Possibly a contributing factor.  But, really it was this:

I grew up on Long Island.  My first real lasting memory of music was listening to Billy Joel's Glass Houses on eight track on my parent's couch. Yes, an eight track is a real thing.  For those readers younger than Lightning, before there were MP3s . . . before their were CD's . . . BEFORE THERE WERE CASSETTES . . . there were eight tracks. Billy Joel's music has been a part of my life my entire life.  The man's career literally spans decades.  He has so many hits, it's absurd.  Even his non-hits are hits.  In short, Billy Joel is a legend with an insane song catalog. I'd practically give a nut to hear him sing Ballad of Billy The Kid . . . Miami 2017 . . . Zanzabar . . .

So, what's the problem?  What raised P3's blood pressure?  Aside from the floor last night, people sat in their seats for 97% of the show.  That's fine.  I mean, it's Billy Joel.  But . . . BUT . . . BUTT!!!!!!  What songs got the crowd on its feet?  "We Didn't Start the Fire" . . . .  "River of Dreams."   Seriously?  For real?  This is what the people came to see?  You're in your seat for The Entertainer, Big Shot and You May be Right.... but River of Dreams rocks your world?  Ugh.  

Anyhow, I did manage to put aside my anger to enjoy the show.  It was a great evening, with good friends.  And now, Sunday, my ass is behind the computer . . . working . . . trying to get a mediation brief drafted.  What a cruel world . . .



video

12 comments:

  1. Stealing a line from the song (not your song anyway, so why am I telling you?). ;) I agree with you on the songs that you deem to be better Pete...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young kids these days! No appreciation for the good stuff!

      Delete
    2. r we talking about KUSH???????????

      Delete
  2. no mosh pit,then???? so did ppl think the world was flat when this 8 track was popular???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anger, I suspect, although I cannot prove, that you are a man who's owned an 8-track or two in his day!

      Delete
    2. LOL. GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!! i had a alvin and the chipmucks 8 track.my moms station wagon had a 8 track and a CB too. 70s version of ON STAR .LOL.

      Delete
  3. I thought it was a good show - even though my wife & I were lowering the average age...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANY truth to the rumor the bar was selling ENSURE supplement drinks????

      Delete
    2. Or that there was a closeout sale on Depends? Not that a young guy like me would know anything about this stuff, of course ...

      Delete
    3. LOL. also they were handing out free samples of Ben Gay and if u showed yr AARP . u got 10% off the price of admission and an entry to win a free Lifeline membership

      Delete
  4. watching this movie called THE SIGNAL about ppl that hear a signal( shocking) thru the radio,tv,mayb 8 track player and they go crazy and kill ppl BUT to me it seems like the tweekers that live in trailers and such in Oildale. or a low budget remake of the PURGE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen him twice, in the 70s and in the 90s. Great show both times.

    ReplyDelete