DC

DC

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Life is All About the Royal

Pete Peters is off on Vacation in less than a week.  But, why wait 6 days to have fun.  A wasted weekend is a sin, you see.  Especially in mid-August, with baseball season winding down. Thusly, Friday I opted to go an a quick two-day "stay-cation."   I picked up some Nats tickets, and pulled a suite at the W Hotel.  And the game was afoot.

I got over to National's Park Friday night in time to grab a few $6 pre-game beers (price goes to $9.50 at first pitch).  A great crowd assembled for the Nats-Pirates series, including a surprising amount of Bucs fans.  The visitors went home disappointed, however, as the Nats were able to hold off a late Pitt charge and win the series opener by a run.  And, with that, Pete P. Peters was 1 win closer to the Nats OVER 89.


After a post game filet at Del Frisco's on Pennsylvania Avenue and a night-cap of Don Julio and club at the W Bar, it was time to call it a night.

Saturday began by playing tourist.



I left the hotel and spent the afternoon at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History looking at bugs and rocks and shit.  And then walked over to the National Gallery -- perhaps my favorite of the many attractions in D.C.


One of my favorite paintings was still on display:  Skiffs by Gustave Caillebotte.  Not sure why I like this piece as much as I do.  But, I do.


After sucking up some culture, it was back to the ball park for game two.  The Bucco fans were again out in force and making some noise after the Pirates jumped out to a 3-0 lead on Gio Gonzales.  But the visitors left heartbroken after Adam Laroche tied the game in the 8th with a two run homer into the home bullpen, and Wilson Ramos sent the fans home with a walk-off double in the 9th scoring Bryce Harper.  One win closer to the money.


P3 cashed out Saturday with the ultimate tourists shot, before heading back to the W.



This morning Pete awoke (thank you, Jesus) and decided to play some cards.  After a 35 minute drive, P3 bought in full when a new game opened at MDL!



The three hour session was painfully dull.  In fact, I only really had two playable hands.  About 40 minutes in, I picked up AA in position.  After 3 limpers and a $15 raise, I popped to $40 and it folded around to a short stack who stuffed his last $20 into the middle.   The original raiser folded. I felt I had to 3-bet, because if I flat, we would have gone 5 to the flop.  Not  a position I want to be in with aces.  In fact, one of the limpers folded 89 and would have made a straight on the river (assuming I couldn't have pushed him out on the flop . . .).  

A few minutes later, a decent player raised the button to $15 and, after the limpers laid down, showed his KQ clubs.  This prompted an older gentlemen to impart some wisdom:  "You never want to raise that hand.  You could have flopped a royal flush.  In fact, you don't even need to flop it.  You'll get the jackpot.  You should have limped in."   This lead to the following comment from a decent reg:  "Yep.  The EV of trying for the high-hand is definitely higher than actually playing your cards."  The old man nodded in agreement.  Good lord  . . I love $1/2 no-limit . . . 

About 2 hours later, I actually played another hand.  I limped 33 after 3 callers.  The Cut-off made it $10.  Everybody called and we went 5 to the flop of 3(c) K(c) Q(h).  A gentlemen donked out $15 (huh?  Bet sizing, anyone?) and got a call.  I decided to charge to see the turn and raised to $40.  Sadly, it folded around.  I heard someone comment from the other side of the table:  "That [incredibly handsome young man] hasn't played a hand in two hours . . ."  Sadly, my image may have cost me some value there.  But, still, I think playing that board fast was the right move in that spot.  

After 3 hours, I felt my game slipping a bit (limping "The Grump" off suit . . . playing off suit one-gappers out of position, etc.).  Plus, Ding Dong was at the next table over and was in rare form (shout out to Poker Meister, Brian, Golf Pro and the other East Coast Regs).  So I decided to walk, up a mere $21.  

I've still only logged 30 hours of cash on the year.  But, after starting the year in a $700 hole, thanks largely to one drunken post steakhouse session with Lightning and Grouchie at Bally's Vegas in January (I'm pretty sure Lightning tried to get me drunk on purpose to steal my sweet, sweet roll at the table), I'm now only $75 in the red for the year.   However, if I filter my results and only count Sunday sessions at MDL! (which, Pokerdogg would agree I should do, you see), my hourly rate is $78 /hr. 

Happy Sunday!

P3





14 comments:

  1. So, the going for high hands comment is what compelled you to explain why you repopped with AA??? :) And yeah, I see really weird bet-sizing in 1/2...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great pics of the baseball game. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF i need bifocals to c any cleavage or Milfs in yoga pants. u know i got glaucoma or whatever ,so when i was in cali i could smoke the MJ.FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s. thx METS 4 killing my 3 team fifty cent parlay. $ 6 dollars a beer was that raw or with lube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos, especially the first one.

    limping "The Grump" off suit

    Doing that is okay -- slow playing it like some do aces, although I prefer to build a pot when I have a monster like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. y limp with the Grump os??? u got to raise premium hands,counselor. cant play with scared money. GEEEEEEEEEEEEZ

      Delete
  4. when is last time u ate SPAM ,COUNSELOR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey what day are you coming into Vegas?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be running around near Caesar's (across the street they do a locals' "Bloq Party at the Linq" thing on Tuesdays. Maybe sake later in the course of the week at Nobu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it PPP! Then TBC will know for sure if AC is a dude or not...

      Delete
    2. LOL. I should have my photo taken with PPP with a paper bag over my head with holes for the eyes and nose! We'll have photos of us at Nobu, playing poker, VBJ, etc. Maybe one in front of the Eiffel Tower and the Mirage volcano???

      Delete
    3. Would love to see an AC photo. Bet she's hot.

      Delete
  7. My, My, My!

    33 hand looks perfect BTW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I resent the implication that I was after the PPP cigar box money. But if you can't handle your cabernet, well ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finished 35th/1144 in the 125K GTD for peanuts.

    I will take it knowing I had 19K at Bubble (108 paid).

    My my my you professional, you check raise, you professional.

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete