DC

DC

Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Royal Weekend


Perhaps I should stop playing poker on MLK Weekend.  For the second year in a row, things went bad.  

My weekend got off to a rocky start.  My plan was to head up to AC Friday night, and catch two of the three Rob Thomas shows at Music Box at Borgata.  However, Gary Loveman wanted to charge me $400+ to stay at Harrah's; and the Sheraton by the convention center was sold out Friday and Saturday.  So, ultimately, I played Saturday night at the Shoe.  The session went well.  First hand played I called $15 with 66 and went 6 to the flop, which produced a delightful 6 . . .  I raked a decent pot.  Second hand played, I raise 77 on the button, and get two callers.  Flop is QQ4.  It checks to me and I continue for $24, and get two callers.  Turn is a 7 . . .  It again checks to me, and I choose to bet it.  Hell, it seems like every time I double barrel with Ace-High, I get called down.  Why play the boat differently here.  Sadly, no caller.  Perhaps I should have checked to induce a river bluff?  Anyway  . . .  I also played AA twice.  The first time, they held.  The second time, I raised and got a call from the Asian on the big blind.  Flop was 35T . . .  Asian leads and I just call.  Turn blanks.  Asian checks, I bet, he calls.  River is a 6.  Asian leads for $75.  I fold.  He claims he was open ended on the flop (implying he rivered a straight).   The Grump?    Anyhow, I ultimately cashed out $280 profit after 2.5 hours.

The next morning, I took off early for AC.  A treacherous trip.   It was raining, and roads were icy.  I saw at least 10 bad wrecks. At one point, I-95 was totally shut down by a crash and I had to detour 30 miles on a smaller side road.  All went well, however, and I reached AC by 11:30.  Originally, I was going to grind 1000 tier points at Harrah's to take advantage of CET's bonus tier point promotion.  But, then I decided, "fuck Gary Loveman."  I went straight to Borgata instead.   I began the day playing 10-handed VP.  Break even after 2 hours.   Then, I went to a single-hand double double bonus machine, looking to crush some quad aces for $500.  It never happened.  However, this did:


My first Royal in about 8 years.  I hit one once before, at Charles Town back in the day; but it only paid $350.  This was my first full-pay Royal.  Delightful.

Around 6:00, I went to Bobby Flay for an early dinner - Filet and Cabernet.  Bobby made me realize how crappy the filets are at Binions at the Horseshoe.   From there, it was off to the Music Box for the Rob Thomas show.  He was excellent, as always, u see.  Before the show started, I texted TBC to see where he would be playing poker later that evening.  My phone was about to die and, unfortunately, it in fact shut down before I heard back from Tony.  

I should have called it a night after the show.  But I didn't.  Instead, I found a $1/2 seat at Borgata and bought in for $300.  I played decent TAG for 2 hours or so.  At one point, I was up $80 or so.  But I went on a cold streak and was back down to around $330 when disaster struck.  KK in position.  Tight asian, who is sitting on about $500, raises to $15.  I re-raise to 45.  He flats.  Flop JQ3.  He leads $50.  I raise without hesitation to $125.  He shoves.  Perhaps I should have slowed down.  But, candidly, I was somewhat under the influence of some Patron and Clubs from the show.  I didn't even go through the mental exercise of trying to put him on a range.  I Still had $160 behind. Yet, I spazz and insta-call.   He flips QJ.  Yuck.  

Tilting, I rebuy for another $300.  First hand with my fresh stack, I look down at JT.  Guy limps, I raise to $10, he calls.  Flop is something like 367.  He bets, and I float.  Turn is a delightful Jack.  He checks, I bet, he calls.  River blanks, I bet, and he check-raises big.  Fuck.  I fold, and he claims he "flopped it."  Down another $70.  And, now I'm REALLY steaming.  Time to walk.  Down $400 for the session.  13 hours played in 2015; down $600.

I woke up early this morning checked my sock.  Up $700 or so on the weekend.  But I was still fuming at the poker loss.  Need to regroup and turn it around.

19 comments:

  1. You might be contagious. I played my first poker of 2015 Friday night and lost two buy-ins in my first five hands: full house over full house, and QQ losing to JJ when a jack flopped. But what are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. U see, u could have gotten UNSTUCK by playing some vbj, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing sessions require getting unstuck IMMEDIATELY!

      Delete
    2. had he first woke me up and asked me where we could sit at a table together and play, he might not have lost.

      Delete
    3. You're absolutely right, TBC. I should have attempted to wake you up. It was unreasonable of me to think you were actually awake at like 9:00 PM when I sent my text asking where you would be playing. I need to prioritize our interactions better, of course

      Delete
  3. 5-1 implied... Pretty bad playing by Mr. Asian!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how was the concert???? open bar??/

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Asian leads and I just call"
    "Tilting, I rebuy for another $300"
    "I woke up early this morning checked my sock"
    "He was excellent, as always, u see."

    Has anyone ever seen the Poker Barrister and TBC in the same room? Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sat at the same lunch table and the same poker table as the Poker Barrister and TBC this summer (if it was really the Poker Barrister..., and really TBC...).

      Delete
    2. The actor I hired to play the role of TBC was quite good. When he drank the third glass of milk, I think he totally sold the role . . .

      Delete
  6. Kinda standard poker. Def bet the turned set of 77s on QQ board. You want stacks.

    I prob smooth call the KK $50 lead. By raising you are folding out all hands you beat. After a 3bet it will be hard to get another street here. I would check back dry turns. I would call one more bet on turn usually. I would bet a wet turn of checked to preparing to bet/fold. I beg river if checked down go that point. You're still gonna lose half your stack at best though.

    J high hand looks ok to me. Standard hands really.

    Nice royal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks PG. The Call line makes sense in that spot. I've been raising overpairs and it has not been working out. Perhaps it's time I actually learn something!

      Delete
  7. I'll add that i check back the set of 77s against one player. I bet smallish against two.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Checked my sock" -- Nice line :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. NO WAY I drive to A.C. in those conditions, especially after seeing at least ten bad wrecks... #degenerate I guess that Gary is selling those rooms, if he keeps charging $400.00 a pop - WOW... Congratulations on the Royal!!! :D And wake people up so you don't lose so much at poker... #goodnessgracious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aren't you better off playing those monies in state? Then again a Royal is a nice touch. The drive sounds scary, one more reason for not going to AC, I am glad you reach there and back safe and sound.

    It is always nice to find magic money in the sock in the morning.

    You became a master at DDB, time to switch from pokerz to the other dark side.

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Asians are crazy, then I remembered the Borgata series is going on, so, some of the crazy play was from the tournament players.

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete