DC

DC

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Hot Flopped Nuts

I'm back from a solid weekend in AC.  Saturday afternoon, this happened:


Always nice when the sweet, sweet VP Pays off.

I played three sessions over the course of the weekend, for a total of 17 hours.  Cashed out $500+ profit.   I played Friday night from 9:30 or so to 4:00 am.  Once again, I was card dead most of the time.  Few decent hands, and missed flops were the norm.  Made most of my profit on on lucky hand. I limped A7 clubs from the big blind, and went three to the flop along with the small blind.  Flop was AK4.  It checked around. Turn was a 7.  I bet $12, and got a call from the small blind.  River is a 7.  Small blind leads out for $28.  I pop to $75.  He shoves. . .  I snap . . . he tables K7.  Ouch.    Nothing more fun than enjoying some adult beverages, sitting back, and slipping into an easy double up.

My initial table broke around 2:00 am, and I got shipped to the most perfect table ever.  HOLY. FUCKEN. DRUNKS.  Like, when Pete P. Peters looks around the table and thinks to himself: "Fuck, these dudes are toooo drunk,"  you know there are some very drunk people at the table . . .  Of the 10 seats, three guys had just come from a bachelor party (strip club wristbands and all), and another dude was nearly too drunk to speak (the 8 seat was the reg who check, checked his flopped set against me two weeks ago, and induced me to spazz a big hand off . . .).   One guy repeatedly asked when the blinds were going up.  They never did.  He never understood.   Another guy -- a drunk from London -had his chips in a big pile in front of him.  And despite repeated warnings from the floor, was utterly incapable of stacking them.  No one pressed the issue, because, regardless whether you could estimate his stake, you just knew you wanted it all and were likely to get it.  More than once, he attempted to both "check" and "raise" simultaneously.  Good times.  When he folded a hand, he would just clumsily waive his hand in front of his face, which induced dealer after dealer after dealer to ask, "sir, what exactly are you trying to do?"  It was all kinds of awesome.  Of course, I got none of his money....

At some point, this hand took place:  One drunken dude open shoved $108.  Another drunken dude  (call him "Drunk-Squared") looked like he was tortured by the decision he was faced with.  Finally, he spoke:  "I love this hand.  I don't think I can let it go."  Eventually, he called.  Drunk 1 had the all powerful A8 suited.  Drunk-Squared had . . . you guessed it: K 4 off.  The king hit the turn and Drunk-Squared scooped.  Fucken Saturday night poker, folks . . .

An hour later, I look down at JJ UTG.  I raise to $15.  Drunk-Squared, who had not played a single hand in an hour, SHOVES for $200 or so.  WTF?  It was the first time I had seen him show any aggression.  And, again, he had not played a hand in an hour.  Now, after I (who had certainly not gotten out of line) raise UTG, he decides to shove?  It folds around to me.  Aside from drunken spazz, I figure I'm flipping at best.  And, I really can't put him on spazz.  I've been playing for 5 hours or so.  I don't feel like flipping my stack off on a pure gamble.  Painfully, I fold.  Drunken-Squared tables T8.  Fuck. Me.  Drunken-Squared then proceeds to blind shove his stack repeatedly.  He gets away with it 4 times before, the fifth time, the Reg from seat 8 calls him with AQ and puts an end to Drunken-Squared's night.  Shortly thereafter, around 4:00 am, I leave too, and finally decide to eat some dinner/breakfast . . .

***

Saturday, I awake at noon, and, after an hour of so of Devils Game (including the $800 hand above), I
cab over to Bally's for an afternoon session at the WSOP Wild West room.  My image was solid.  I felt like I could pretty much do whatever I wanted at the table.  Poker.  What a crazy game.  I can go from feeling like the table captain one session, to feeling like the biggest fish in the room the next.  Unreal.  No real notable hands.  But I left after 3 hours with a solid profit.  I also fell in love.  Woman across the table from me was a solid poker player.  She was also wearing an O'Shea's sweatshirt . . .  and pounded at least 6 beers while I was sitting there.  She was delightful.  Had I too been drinking, I may have proposed. I doubt my mom would have liked her  . . .

Around 8:00, I went to Mortons for the standard filet and cabernet.

After dinner, I cabbed back to Harrah's and settled in for another long session.   It was a really fun table.  Like, really fun.  To the point where, at times, I almost forget I was playing poker.  A delightful combination of cool people and degenerate drunks.  My play was steady.   I finally got some decent hands.  AA twice.  KK twice.  While I did not make much off either, I won all 4.  Let me get some thoughts on this one:

KK in position.  There is a $12 raise.  No callers.  I three-bet to $35.  He calls and we go heads up to the flop:  9T2 (two clubs).  It checks to me.  I bet $50 and it folds.  Now, I seem to recall Poker Meister talking about checking the flop in this spot.   I mean, there's not much to worry about.  Chances of an ace hitting . . . or Villain being on a flush draw?  Not high.  Is this a spot to check?

I steadily built a stack over the course of the night.  But, every time I was on the verge of building a sizable "roll," something happened to knock me back down.  This was perhaps the most frustrating hand:

I limp K3 hearts from the button.  The flop is K(s) 2(c) 3(c).  It checks to me, and I bet $10.  One caller (a guy who, seemingly, was one of the more competent guys at the table).  The turn is a red 8.  Villain leads for $10.  I raise to $35.  He flats.  River is 8(c).  Fuck.  Is there a worse card?  If he's drawing, he hit . . . and my two pair is counterfeited.  In short, I'm beating nothing.  Villain leads for $45.   I fold.  Later, when I get up to hit the head, I stop by villain and we chat about the hand.   He says had K5 and "had me dominated."  Um.  Well.  Ok.  Not sure I'm calling the turn raise with top pair, 5 kicker  . . .  but, good hand, I guess . . .

I played aggressive most of the night.  I raised 80% of the hands I played.  KJ . . . AT . . . and even hands like 88 or 99 . . . I opened with a raise.  And, I was able to take down many on the flops, even 3 or 4 handed....  Of course, the one time I limped, I got burned.  It was late in the session.  Probably around 3:30 am.  I had AJ and limped in after 3 players.  The flop was A84.  I bet, and one villain called.  Turn was a 2.  Villain led for $25.  I flatted.  River was a T.  Villain bets $22.  Um.  Huh?  I call.  He proudly flips T4.  I really have no one to blame but myself.  That was it.  I was pissed at myself . .  tilting . . . and called it a night shortly thereafter.

***

Sunday, on the way home, I stopped by Maryland Live to pick up $100 in free play.  I slipped my card into the 100-hand double, double bonus game and, 20 minutes later, cashed out $200.  Easy game.  $1,300 profit for the weekend.  7,000 Caesars Tier Points on the year.  Fun times.

***

As for dem pokerz . . . I'm at 57 hours on the year, and down $529.  Next week I'll probably grind a few sessions at the Shoe.  Then, the weekend of the 21st, it's going to be a degenerate weekend of black jack and NCAA basketball with my old law school crew, including "Gamblor" -- my old roommate who got me to place my very first bet years ago.... Then, April 2nd, it's off to Vegas for 4 nights to place bases futures...  #toughlife

Finally, congrats to Nick on the new job and good luck in Vegas this week!  Kick some ass and have lots of fun, sir!

12 comments:

  1. im sure Pokermeister wouldnt say to check KK on a heavy draw str8 and flush board of 9T2 and 2 to a suit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I seem to recall Poker Meister talking about checking the flop in this spot. - No! I would not recommend doing that with KK. I would only consider checking through with a hand like AA with the A of the suit. You need to continuation bet here - rightfully so, and you took it down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!! Poker, sports betting, and possibly some drunken adventures await! I intend to get my mlb futures in while there. At some point after a decent poker session I may even grind some of that sweet, sweet VP!! Hoping to channel my inner PPP if I do! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, no reason to check the flop with the KK. Congrats on the profitable weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drunks, Maniacs and Drunk Maniacs

    Even though this guy hadn't shown any aggression lately I am never folding AQ+ 99+ in this spot....they are like ticking time bombs and can go off at any second.

    Had a maniac at my 1-2 table one night with greens and blacks in front of him I assume from playing in the pits...he was randomly raising a "handful" of chips...literally...he would close his eyes ....grab a handful of chips nd raise that amount.

    I decided if i picked up AQ+ 99+ i was shoving over this idiot and lets see a board...well i picked up AQ....someone min raised....maniac called and I shoved...iitial raiser got out of the way and of course maniac called with J9 and rivered a straight on T ( 4 outer) as i flopped a Q.

    I then decided I was going to reload and play the same strategy until he left or got felted...and eventually I did felt the guy and got back my $200 plus about $350 more.

    When facing these types....be fearless and stay the course....and they will provide nifty chunks of profit.

    As to the KK hand....there are straight and flush draws out there....you have to bet and protect that hand....if the villain is lucky enough to have flopped a set....there is no magic you just have to pay him off

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob guest post?? #ineedcliffnotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. The guy who tried to check and raise at the same time....apparently he had heard the term "check-raise" and didn't quite grasp the concept.

    Nice session, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have to give my props to the PPP .. When he discussed the Drunks session, I could literally close my eyes and hear him telling the story - too fucken (his way) funny! .. I guess that little vignette shows why he writes a good blog .. Anyway, all told, K4 off is now my personal "pet hand!" until of course I actually play it once ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two weeks, bud!!! Gonna be a fun time!

      Delete
  9. Pete, enjoyed your blog. What do you hold if you're deal KK,33,x or 99,33,x on Double Bonus Poker machine?

    ReplyDelete