DC

DC

Monday, March 16, 2015

Pete P Peters & the Beast of a Middle Aged C*nt

Yesterday (Sunday), I woke up at 11:30.  For, [y]u[o] see, I had been in the office until around midnight Saturday night, and was too titled to get to sleep before 4:00 am or so.  As previously reported, I had intended to spend Sunday in the office, working on some follow up for our client in Korea.  However, upon reflection, I realized that, given the time difference, nothing I did Sunday would likely even be looked at by the client until Monday night.  So, I did the only sensible thing - I drove out to the Horseshoe to finally get in a session of poker.

I the first orbit was a doozy.  I bought in for $300, and immediately posted.  After folding 4 hands, I found myself with "Cowboys" UTG.  I opened the action for $17, and was re-raised by a middle aged woman (likely, 50 or so) to $75.  Action folds back around to me, and I shove (interestingly, this woman had just had AA two hands before . . . not that this influenced my action).  She calls without much hesitation.  Flop is AJ8 x x.  She has ladies, and I'm quickly up $230.  After the hand, I'm chatting with the guy next to me - a reg I've played with before.  The action got around to my big blind and I must have delayed about 5 or 6 seconds in looking at me cards.  The hag from the prior hand yells out, "YOU STILL NEED TO PAY ATTENTION AFTER YOU WIN A HAND, YOU KNOW!!!!  Um.  Relax, lady.  You lost a hand on a questionable preflop call. Let's not be too much of a sore loser.

In any event, I finally FINALLY FINALLY . . . look down at my hand after a five second delay that, apparently felt like hours, and have 6T.  I check my option.  Flop is 66J (two clubs).  Not bad.  I check.  Woman bets $15.  Older guy in blazer on the button calls.  I raise to $45.  Old Hag folds and Blazer shoves for approximately $150 more.  I call without much hesitation.  Dude has A6, and I ship most of my profit from the previous hand to the guy.  Easy come and all . . . Out of the corner of my eye, I see the Beast smirking and commenting to the guy next to her.  Whatevs . . . Hell, after my Saturday, even this c*nt's behavior can't ruin my mood.  I'm just happy to be playing cards!

After those two hands, not much else happened.  I limp/called a plethora of small pocket pairs, trying to set mine, but never connected (meanwhile, the woman next to me flopped sets with ducks twice -- TWICE -- in an hour and got all in both times for about $500 profit.  Ultimately, I won a decent pot with 99.  After two limpers, I raised to $15, and got two callers.  Flop was 862.  It checked to me and I bet $25 and took it down.  A little while later, though, I raised UTG to $17 with AQ and went heads up to a J-high flop.  I led for $25 and got called in one spot, and gave up on the turn . . . $42 shifting spots . . .  

Frustratingly, the game played short-handed most of the night.  We had a few people leave chips on the table and disappear for well over an hour (in fact, the Old Beast was absent for at least two hours).  We were six handed when the floor opened a brand new $1/3 game.  Really?  Love rake much?  Eventually, the game was 5 handed (three people on "dinner break" and two empty seats.  The four people remaining were basically nits, except for one guy that just opened every hand to $10.  A truly awful game.  At 7:45, I let the table know that, while I hated to leave them 4-handed, I had to leave soon.  I gave away a few blinds and, finally, at 8:00, I racked up and left, causing the table to break.   Down $53 on the session.   59.42 hours played on the year; down $582 total.


14 comments:

  1. Tough session but at least you got out of the damn office.

    I hate when people leave the table with chips on it for long periods of time. Rooms need to crack down on that practice.

    Love the title!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, don't most rooms implement a "third-man walking" rule?

      Delete
  2. I've been playing a lot of live poker lately - and I thought I had a lot of hours on the year for a part timer... 43 hours for me. Let's coordinate going up if you go this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be in AC this weekend on a black jack bender with some buddy's from law school. Perhaps the following week?

      Delete
    2. hopefully separate beds. i bet the Miller Lite and Patron will b flowing like the Mississippi in that biiiiiiiiiiitch. Plus March Madness too or does AC not care about that SHEEEEEEEEEEEIT!!!!! i am thinking this will b like the movie The Hangover but w/o the tiger/baby/Mike Tyson. dont 4get yr man purse

      Delete
  3. the 3rd man walking rule isnt a good idea, it encourages a group of 2 to stay away from the table for up to an hour doing whatever, and penalizes everyone who (like me) wants to wait til its their blind to make a 3 minute run to the bathroom. it certainly does nothing to penalize the 2 that are gone, since they werent the 3rd person to get up. think about it, who it penalizes unfairly, and u see why sensible rooms dont do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh, but if you are peeing.....it stops the group of 2 from leaving and staying away. What games do you play in where 2 people go off together to frolic and lollygag while leaving their poker chips on the table?

      Delete
  4. Actually, most rooms do NOT have the Third Man Walking Rule, and most rooms that do have it rarely enforce it. There's a good reason they don't.. It is a TERRIBLE rule.

    I wrote about it last year, at the post here:

    http://robvegaspoker.blogspot.com/2014/07/i-come-to-bury-caesars-not-to-praise-it.html

    Fortunately since then--no doubt directly because of my post and the power I have--they dropped the rule at Caesars.

    When I first heard of the rule I thought it was great, but that was only in theory, I had never seen it actually enforced. Once I saw it in practice, I realized it sucked.

    Basically, the 3rd Man Walking Rule punishes the wrong people--that player who just wants to make a quick bathroom break and get right back to the game. In the meantime, the two or more people who are actually causing the problem by being away from that table for an excessive amount of time face no penalty whatsoever.

    If they want that rule enforced, they should reverse it and pick up the player who has been away the longest, not the person who was gone for five minutes instead of four. Of course, that could also lead to abuse. If there was a player who you couldn't stand away from the table for a long time, you could purposely leave the game to so that the disagreeable person would get kicked out.

    The best solution is to reduce the time you can be away from the table without getting picked up. Almost all poker rooms will serve food, or at least allow you to get it and eat at the table, so there's really no reason to allow any more than say, 20 minutes. Also, they should have a way to track it so that people couldn't take a 20 minute break, play two hands, take another 20 minute break, play two hands, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe Green Valley Ranch does it a slightly different way which may be more to your liking. Once the third man is away from the table, the next away player that the blinds would hit is picked up. Thus, if two people are away, if you get up before blinds get to you, you will get a missed blind button, and the next person with a missed blind button gets picked up. There is something more to this that I am forgetting, but I seem to think that there is a way to force them to pick someone else up.

      Delete
    2. I have seen the meal button get abused too many times. I particularly hate it when players lock up a seat for almost an hour, come back to play one orbit, then leave. Grrrrr ...

      Except in rare cases, it seems like 30 minutes should be enough. Eat and then get back to play or just leave and reenter via the regular process when you return.

      Delete
  5. And yet there are still some people who think Tony would be happier playing poker than getting a job...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Checked all around preflop, then "Woman bets $15. Older guy in blazer on the button calls. I raise to $45. Old Hag folds and Blazer shoves for approximately $150 more. I call without much hesitation." Pete what was your thinking here? Did you put the Blazer guy on a club draw, 67, or a pocket pair? Based on his check, call, shove, were you thinking that it was 50/50 on who is ahead?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This '3rd Man Walking Rule' convo - one positive thing about tournaments I guess...

    ReplyDelete