DC

DC

Monday, May 11, 2015

Atlantic City Trip Report

I took off from work Friday afternoon around 4:15.  And sat in traffic.  Like, a lot of traffic.  I arrived at Harrah's at 10:00.  Not a good start to the weekend.  However, after checking in and getting upgraded to the Waterfront Tower (fully comped), my luck began to change.   I grabbed a beer, sat down at a VP machine and, within the first twenty minutes, hit my second Royal Flush of the year:

  
 Like my first, it was runner, runner, runner. Clean living!

I played a bit more 100-hand VP, lost $100, and then shut it down . . . had some beers, and watched the NHL playoffs . . .  

Saturday morning, I was up at the crack of 11:00 . . . grabbed some coffee while grinding some more VP (lost another $100), and then banged out a quick 3-mile run.  Then it was off to Bally's to play some poker.

The afternoon session began around 3:00.  And, it was awful.  We were 5 handed most of the first hour, as half the table decided to get up at once:


We spent an hour trading blinds.  Zero action.  It was nearly too much excitement.  Only a few half-way memorable hands.  I had AA in the small blind once.  An older guy, sitting on about $65, opened UTG to $15.  It folded to me.  I figured, if a nit opens to $15 UTG, he's strong enough to put his remaining $50 in the middle pre flop.  So, I shoved.  The old fucker folder.  Ugh.  

Eventually, when the table filled back up, I got into one interesting hand.   I had $300 behind, and called an $11 raise with 66.   The raiser had been gone from the table most of the session.  The one hand I did see him play, he opened to $11, saw a paintless flop, bet $22 or so, got called, and gave up on the turn.  I took his hand for Ax, standard C-bet.   Anyhow, this time around, we went four to the flop ($45 in pot) -- 345.  Raiser is first to act, and pots it.  Early position folds and action is on me.  Raiser has about $80 behind (after his $45 flop bet), and to my left is a short stack.  I actually think my 66 may be good in this spot.  Plus, I've got the redraw.  So, what's the play here?

I ended my afternoon session after 3 hours, and went to Toga Bar at Caesars to watch some baseball.  And play some sweet, sweet VP, of course, [yo]u see.  I threw $50 in the machine, and hit aces:


Easy game.

Then it was off to dinner at Morton's.  Filet, 3 glasses of Primal Cut Cabernet . . . Like three-betting QQ -- Standard.

After dinner, I cabbed back to Harrah's for a late night session.  



This was definitely an action table that made up for Bally's.  We had a Crazian, and an even crazier Russian next to him.  I built up a decent stack over the course of 2 hours . . . top pair . . . c-betting missed flops . . . hit a straight with J8, et cetera.  No tough spots.  Then I pick up AA under the gun.      I was hoping to get paid this time.  I open to $14.  Older guy re-raises to $35.  He has about $150 left.  It folds around to me.  I four bet to $105.  He shoves, and tables KK . . . . Several folks at the other  end of the table were vocally calling for a K.  But, my Aces held.  After the hand, I was joking around with the table about them rooting for the old guy.  I told them they were all on my list . . . They explained, "yeah, but if he won, he would have shared the wealth  . . ." So, I guess I took it as a complement.

About 3 hours in, I was up $375 or so, and started racking up.  If there's one lesson I've learned from poker pro, Tony Bicharles, it's that a pro never leaves a good game. But, I had Mets tickets to the game in Philly Sunday, and wanted to get some rest.  Plus, I'm not a poker pro.  So, I decided to leave.  But one last orbit, of course . . .  And, just as I'm about to walk, I look down at 33.  Someone opens to $13, gets a call, and I figure, what the hell . . .  Flop comes down 3 7 9 rainbow.  It checks to raiser, who bets $35.  I flat.  3rd player folds.  Heads up to the blank on the turn.  Villain (Crazy Russian) bets $65.  He has about $130 left.  I decide to play my set like a set (yes, I'm that awesome at poker) and shove.  He snaps and tables KK.  Easy game.  I walked an orbit later, up $626 or so . . .

Sunday morning, I awoke around 9:00 . . . got some coffee . . . played a bit more VP . . . and, at 11:00, took off for Philly.  Left AC up $1,700.  Good thing, as I'm starting to put together my sweet, sweet roll for my eight day trip to Vegas in a few short weeks . . . I was hoping not to lose too much this weekend.  A nearly 2 grand win was an even better result.

I got to Philly around 12:15, and parked my car at the Holiday Inn about 3/4 mile from Citizen's Bank Ball Park.   I backed my G37 into a space in front of some shrubs, hiding the back of my vehicle.  I have a Mets license plate frame, [yo]u see, and I don;t want my tires slashed by the local savages.  It was a perfect day for a game.  I was seated 12 rows back of the visiting Mets dugout:




With 41 year old Bartolo Colon on the mound, the Mets picked up the 7-4 victory, and walked the line:


#LGM. . .  And, for the aforementioned Mr. Bigcharles, in response to his twitter comment, yes, this clearly stands for "Lesbian, Gay, Mash-Taters" . . .

In sum, it's been a good week for P3.  Not dying.  Made money in AC.  Mets take 2/3.  In fact, I'm feeling so good, I figure I'll share the wealth, and end this post with the following . . . Some Alice Eve, for you fans of "acting":






-P3

16 comments:

  1. Nice photos, especially the last three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Action player move dictates shoving the 66 on the flop of 345...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great weekend! Your first session describes why I hate poker in AC. It's usually death warmed over! Cool that your second session was more actiony and you were able to spike a few players when you needed it! How are your poker winnings for the year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down $217. Was down $1,000; first 3 months of year where one long card-dead stretch, with a handful of mistakes thrown in. So, I'm getting back a bit.

      Delete
  4. what was the ethnicity of the cab driver??????? also A++++ grade 4 the post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post; I look forward to more posts about gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgendered vegetables.

    Sorry to be the grammar police, but in the aces vs kings hand, I think you took it as a compliment, not a complement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at the grammar police... I thought when he wrote that he meant that the guy was "angling" - get it? get it? See, since complement is a type of angle and I mixed in the pun for angle shooting? Hrmph... oh well...

      Delete
    2. Nice catch. I'm self-banning myself from any further posts for a week.

      Delete
  6. Nice session.

    And way to go, sir, pissing off the entire table so they were rooting for the other player to crack your Aces with the dreaded Kings. What did you do to get them all mad at you? Tell them how badly they played when you bluffed them off a hand? Talk incessantly through the hands? Throw a stapler or a glass when you lost a big pot?

    Or did you merely tell them you were a lawyer? That would actually work for most people.

    The most amazing part of the story is that you won two big hands against pocket Kings, and neither of the time was the sucker ME.

    Alice Eve is definitely a looker. But I actually think she can act, too! Not that you can tell from the pics. Glad to see you've lowered yourself to my level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. I was actually joking around a bit at the table; so, perhaps some players felt liberated enough to root for the KK knowing that I would not get pissed off . . . Of course, had a K come on the board, I would have called them all cunts and thrown my corona light across the table. Fortunately, it did not come to that.

      Delete
    2. Got pocket Kings Sunday night. Two players called my three bet. Flop was A-rag-rag. I put out a nice c-bet. One players shoves all in. Grrrr... perhaps they really are the DREADED POCKET KINGS!

      Delete
  7. Nice cash on dem the good machines!

    Did someone tell you, you are a far better VP Player than Poker Player ;)

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmmm...Alice Eve. Yes, please. Might have to swap her for somebody on my approved "list."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi to all! I would love to say something here that this is overall truly splendid blog. cheap zynga poker chips for sale

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great resource, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete