DC

DC

Monday, May 18, 2015

Upswing

Another weekend has come and gone.  As usually, it's Monday, and I'm exhausted . . .

I woke up Sunday morning in Baltimore (not by accident, mind you).  It was about 10:00 am.  I had just spent the past two days with my oldest friend from High School.  We drank Friday night at a local bar.  Then, Saturday, we got festivities rolling at 1:00 pm with the Rangers game, and kept the train going until 2:00 when we shut down the James Joyce Tavern in Baltimore.  In any event, he left around 8:30 Sunday morning to head home to the wife.  I had a ticket for the 1:35 O's game, but the weather was looking semi-shady.  Plus, I didn't really feel much like hanging out for nearly 4 hours until first pitch.  Also, I had sort of had enough . . .  I wasn't hung over (P3 is a professional degenerate [yo]u see).  Just tired AS FUCK.    So, I got in the car and started driving home.  I got half way back to Bethesda when the caffeine from my giant Starbucks started kicking in.  And then I remembered - I'm suppose to be living life to the fullest.  Going home to spend Sunday on the couch catching up on GOT's does not constitute YOLO'ing (is that a thing?).  So, I swung the car around . . . picked up a second giant Starbucks, and went right back to Baltimore.

Long story short, the weather held out . . . The O's won the game . . . The Mets also won their second in a row . . . and all was right in the world.

So, after the game, I walked back to the Shoe, where my car was parked.  It was only 5:00.  I decided to sit down and play some hands.  Yes, I was still tired.  But, I had had a few beers at the game, and wanted to make sure I was 100% sober to drive home.  So, what better way to sober up a bit than by playing an hour or so . . .

It was a short, yet sweet, session.  I got QQ . . . opened to $15 . . . got two callers . . . and hit a set.  I fired the flop, but it folded around.

A while later, I got KK.  After one limper, I raised to $15 . . . this time, I got 5 callers.  Yuck.  The flop was 5 9 A.  Double Yuck.   It checked to me.  I'm assuming one of these 5 callers has Ax, right?  Yet, I couldn't get myself to check and let someone take the pot from me.  So, I led for $65.  Somehow, it folded around.  This could be my day.

In the middle of my session, I looked down at QT clubs in middle position.  I was temped to play the hand; but, before action got to me, someone raised to $12.  I laid it down.  They went to the flop of K 4 7 . . . all clubs.  FML, to steal Lightning's phrase...  It checked to original raiser, who bet $20 or so.  He got called.  The turn blanked.  It checked to raiser who bet $65.  Other player, who was $700 + deep, re-raised to $150 and got an all-in (for like another $40).  Raiser had Big Slick.  Caller/check-raiser had A9 . . . clubs . . . Pete Peters dodged a bullet there!!!  With the second nuts on the flop, I'm not sure I would have gotten away from my flush.  Not with any chips left, at least . . .  This definitely could be my day.

Just before racking up, I looked down at  J 9 clubs.  It limps to me, and I come along in late position.    I could have raised.  Maybe I should have raised.  But, as mentioned, I was sort of in shut down mode and was not looking to build a big pot pre-flop with the hand.  Anyway, the flop is a 782 rainbow.  Dude leads for $8.  He has $1,000 behind.  I call, as a Ten would give me a fairly well disguised straight and some good implied odds.   And, as a bonus, the woman next to me comes along (with about $100+ behind).   And, since its my day, the turn is a Ten.   This time, guy leads for $50.  I just call, feeling pretty confident my hand is in little jeopardy of getting sucked out on.  I could raise, but I sort of want the woman to come alone.  And, she does.  The pot is approximately $180.  And the river is a Queen, making the final board 782TQ.  Dude leads for $65.  Woman has about that behind.  A raise could scare her off; but, then again, if she has any kind of solid hand, she may feel pot committed even if she suspects I may be stronger.   So I make it $200.  Woman calls.  Sadly, dude folds.  Still, a decent $500+ pot.  

I walked around 7:00.  Utterly exhausted from 3 days of debauchery. 

So, as you may recall, as of April 10th, I was down a little over $1,000 for the year (at about 65 hours or so played).  These results were, IMO, a combination of 3 months of running bad (mainly card dead), with a bit of bad-play and/or some drunken stupidity mixed in (e.g., like the $465 I lost last month in a Saturday night, post O's game, post 10 beers, session).  Some nights, I'll sit down after too many cocktails and play just to have some fun.  But, I still count these sessions in my results.  Hell, if I happen to luck box on these nights, I'd surely be tempted to count positive results.  Plus, there's often a thin line between being nicely lubricated to play a solid, confident, TAG game, and being overly intoxicated to the point of being the table fish.  So, I simply count every session I play.

Fortunately, the past month my luck has turned around, and I've been running well.  And, last night, I finally broke through to the black:



As Vegas Rob suggested last night, possibly sarcastically, I may not be able to retire on 10 cents an hour.  But, it's a moral victory to me.  Hopefully, I can build upon this and work my rate up to $10 an hour or so.  

-P3


13 comments:

  1. Good job.

    A while later, I got KK. . . . So, I led for $65. Somehow, it folded around.

    Maybe Rob should be paying attention. He seems to have trouble playing these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, MOJO......I probably would have bet there with the dreaded hand myself. If it had been me, I would have been check-raised.

      Nice turnaround, PPP...... Next goal....20cents/hour. You can do it! :)

      Delete
  2. NICE laydown on the evil hand!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is clear to me your hourly is actually much higher than this and should include dem good machines. U see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. laundry report????? do have enuff pants??

    ReplyDelete
  5. your report shows no tips. you must be taking lessons from the master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't tip dealers for they r far more better off financially than I am and god don't think its right for them to make more money then me since most of them are drug addicts or have pimps like Alaska girl, u see.

      Delete
    2. Catfish is Alaska Girls pimp??? #pimpinainteasy

      Delete
  6. Good stuff PPP. I rarely drink when I play poker, but occasionally I'll go to a show or a concert where I drink a good bit and I always end up playing poker afterwards. Last time I did this I ended up winning $600 at the Hard Rock after seeing Journey. I don't think it will increase my profits long term, but it sure was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only way from here is going up!

    Hope you make a killing at the pokerz and dem the good machine for the rest of the year.

    GolfPro

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog is absolutely useful; I love the piece of informative writing.
    free zynga poker chips

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi to all! I would love to say something here that this is overall truly splendid blog. cheap zynga poker chips for sale

    ReplyDelete