DC

DC

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Kings Overthrown

After spending five hours in the office, I made the drive to Charles Town for some Saturday Pokers.  There were 46 on the wait list when I arrived, but I was seated within 30 minutes.  Which, it turns out, was longer than I played.

I bought in for $300.  Several hands in, a short stacker raises to $5.  A pony-tailed hillbilly re-raises to $12.  I'm in the Big Blind and look down at KK.  Jackpot.  I make it $37.  Both call.  Flop is Q-high, two clubs.  I check.  Short stack shoves for $99 and hillbilly calls.  I tank a bit.  Not worried about short stack who opened for $5.... Worried Hillbilly has QQ.  Ultimately, I can't fold.  And, not going to call.  So, I jam.  Hillbilly calls off his last $115.  Club on the turn . . . Hillbilly has A(c) J (c).  Good start.

I add on $200 and a few hands later, I call $7 seven ways with 22 and flop a set.  Hillbilly leads for $12.  One caller, and the rest fold before action gets to me.  I can obviously raise here.  But I decide to slow play it, ready to get way from the hand if the board gets scary.  Of course, Club on the turn.  But, Hillbilly only bets like $15.  So, I call. Fourth club comes on the river.  Of course.  Hillbilly bets $35.  I fold.  Meh.  Played it overly passive, but I can live with the result.

A few hands later, I get KK . . . again.  I'm in middle position.  Guy opens for $7.  I raise to $25.  Guy 4-bet min-raises.  I think about putting in a 5th bet; but just call.  Flop it 7-high.  I check and he bets  $60.  I only have like $150 or so left.  I jam.  He snaps with AA.  Done.

Perhaps I could have gotten away from the last hand. I spoke with Poker Meister on the drive home, and he suggested (a) a 4 bet is almost always AA at $1/2; and (b), had I 5 bet to like $90, I could have re-evaluated and perhaps gotten away from the hand pre flop.  I don't disagree.  But, I think, in my head, I figured, "really?  Poker gods are gonna do me like this?  Give me a set up KK against AA so I get stacked with cowboys TWICE in twenty minutes?"  Of course, I know that all of that is meaningless.  But, it was my mind set at the time.  I simply thought, "if I'm up against AA, then fuck it . . ."  

Anyway, I guess I should have worked more this afternoon . . .



      

15 comments:

  1. Three words, sir.

    Dreaded. Pocket. Kings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sucks to run bad, I am in the midst of a bad 2 weeks stretch myself.

    With the KK vs AA hand, I think 5 bet to $90 and fold would be a bad idea when you only have a $200 stack. You can never be sure villain has AA unless you know the player well.

    Better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Tough to get a read when you are only there for 20 minutes! If anything, I was just pissed because I had been waiting all week to play. And, at that moment, I decided not to buy in a third time . . . Spend two hours driving, an hour waiting, and 20 minutes playing. Solid session.

      Delete
    2. He was playing a $300 which is why I suggested it. I still go back and forth as to whether it's optimal, but at least you can feel 99% certain you're up against AA.

      Delete
  3. u need a new hobby like #DFS Nascar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a major reason I prefer tournaments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BCUZ they r healthier ?????? #FlushDrawwLOGIC

      Delete
  5. Run bad always sucks. In the set of deuces hand, I think you made a big error here. You always have to bet your sets or the poker gods are guaranteed to bring the one or two cards that will sink you - guaranteed.

    One of the other problems appears to be that when you play with terrible players, you will sometimes take terrible beats. Last night I lost a pot to J-4os. Who the heck calls a raise with J-4os?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are about to have at least half of your stack ($300) in on the flop with two clubs vs two players. And you decide to put the whole stack in before the turn. Care to give us your read on what the other two players were holding? AQ is possible for one of them. I call the flop and if the turn isn't a club, I shove.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once at the Shoe, I was at the small blind. The table limps into the button who jams a $15 bet into a 1-3 game. I fold an unmemorable hand, the big blind make it $30 and the button raises him another $30. The big blind thinks for a minute and folds K-K straight up. The button shows his A-A and says "How did you know?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool story, Darryl. Actually, it was the worst fucking story I've ever heard.

      Delete
  8. Sorry late on this but 4b/f KK to anyone but the nittiiest old man is rally pretty bad with less than 150ish bb

    ReplyDelete