DC

DC

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Blazing Trails

Getting old sucks.  Apparently, my cholesterol is still too high. And my blood sugar has crept up over the past 6 months. My A1C is Still "under control," but not the 5.5 it use to be.  In fairness, I'm not surprised.  The past 6 months have not been my healthiest, starting with the nearly two months I spent in Vegas living out of a hotel; moving and being a two minute walk from a handful of restaurants; working more hours than I ever have since being a first year associate at a big firm.  My exercise waned, and my diet deteriorated.

But I've settled into the new location and new work routine.  And I've recommitted to diet and exercise.   My daily diet usually involves egg whites or muscle milk for breakfast; almonds / protein bars for snacks; and salads / vegetables for lunch.  I found a few decent lunch options around the office, including a Korean place and Jose Andres' Beefsteak, which is premised on steamed vegetables:



Dinner is generally chicken/fish and more vegetables or homemade protein shake.   With respect to the latter, I generally create one using (a) cup of unsweetened almond milk; (b) two scoops of muscle milk powder; (c) scoop of natural peanut butter; (d) handful of berries; and (e) a large cup of ice.  Blend it all up.  It's about 30 grams of carbs (all from the protein powder, peanut butter and fruit), 80 grams of protein and 800 calories. Entire meal.  And, for someone like me, who's been off sugar for years, it's like a milkshake!


As for exercise . . . I've been lifting more often, and have vastly increased my weekly miles on the trails.  I downloaded a county trail map a few weeks ago and, on the weekends, have been searching out new trail runs.  I always find that running the unknown - exploring -- enables me to power through far more miles than running the same old routes.  Last weekend, I hit the Muddy Branch Trail near Potomac, Maryland.  It started with 2.5 miles through the woods, then opened up on the C&O Canal adjacent the Potomac River.  I ended up running 8 miles - the most I had run in one stint in probably a decade.  The scenery made it enjoyable:







-P3

11 comments:

  1. hmmmmmmmmmJose Beefsteak but u get steamed veggie??????? #TrevorStoryDay nice places to bury a body too counselor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beefsteak is, sadly, a type of tomato. I know. False advertising.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your "milkshake" find... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your life style change. As you know, daily exercise and improved diet will prolong life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. But no so much a change. I just a got bit lax recently. Eating more carbs than I should . . . processed food. Had to reset and get back on track.

      Delete
  4. You know getting older sucks in most ways, but, one of the benefits I've came to love is you just don't give a fuck about what other people think about you.

    Congrats on blog award.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jesus Christ. Having conquered the poker blogging world with a FIFTH PLACE finish on the authoritative list of world's greatest poker blogs, you have clearly decided to move on to your next conquest....best "Healthy Lifestyle Blog."

    Harummph. I mean at least when I run out of poker stories, I default to pictures of boobies.

    But this.....this is totally unacceptable.

    Where are the filets? The wine? A beer, even?

    Man up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta agree with Rob on this one. I made a TBone on the grill last night that was just under 30oz. Cooked over a very hot fire done in 9 minutes with a medium doneness and nicely charred exterior. No vegetable, no potato, no salad. Just steak and a cold beer.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shake recipe; I'll have to try it. Also, congrats on the well-deserved reward.

    ReplyDelete