DC

DC

Monday, May 23, 2016

Heading in a New Direction

A week or so has passed since my last entry, wherein I detailed my upcoming Vegas trip.  During that time, I worked. Non-stop.  I'm tired.  And I've also developed a knot-like feeling in my stomach that persist much of the day.  I assume its stress related.  Last night, when I finally stopped responding to client emails, and was laying on the couch trying not to throw up, I just decided that I have no interest in going to Vegas for 9 days.  The thought of staying up late, gambling, drinking, and all the stuff that comes with a P3-style Vegas vacation was not appealing in the least.  So, I changed plans . . . again.

Current itinerary:

  • 4 Days (Friday - Monday) @ The Loews, South Beach.  Ocean front.  Pool.  Beach. Beverages.  Added bonus, the Mets are in town for a weekend series.  Tickets for all three games, field level over the visitor dug out.  
  • Tuesday, driving down to Key West for 2 nights.  I've never been.  Looking forward to the drive, itself, as well as the local scene.  I've heard the beaches suck, but we'll see.
  • Thursday through Sunday - a return to The Diplomat.  Pool, Beach, beverages.  Still one of my all-time favorite resorts.  I haven't been there since Hilton bought it from SPG a year ago.  Hoping things haven't changed.

Hoping the weather is decent.  I'm still hanging on to my flight and hotel in Vegas for the time being, just in case things look bleak as June 3rd approaches.  But I think this is the winner.  Now, just need to survive the next two weeks . . .

12 comments:

  1. No trip to Shreveport to visit your most famous client?

    I expect that you will like the variety of unique bars in Key West.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No real beaches in Key West, but the drive is gorgeous. Check out the Dry Tortugas day cruise/tour for snorkeling if you're into that sort of thing.

    I second Lightning's motion on Key West bar scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? I was looking forward to ignoring you with all the cray cray WSOP crap going on during that time. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Key West, don't forget to do the tourist thing and watch sunset at Mallory Square. Schmaltzy, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice. Really looking forward mainly just to the drive down there, and checking out the vibe....

      Delete
  5. John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park was way cool back in 1989 I think it was I was there. There is an underwater statue of Jesus that I think the water is 25 feet deep and with the height of the statue (7 feet I think) you only have to dive about 18 feet down to touch it. Which is supposed to bring you good luck. I was on the only guy in my group of six to try to do it and I was successful. When I came back up to the surface I was yelling "I did it, I did it..." and swallowed a stomach full of salt water. And then I blasted about a 4 foot geyser of vomit into the sky as I hurled up my lunch. Sadly enough, this was way before youtube....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! God clearly punished you for being a braggart (is that a word?) u see.

      Delete
    2. Agreed, if I had kept my yap closed my lunch wouldn't have fed two schools of tropical fish that swarmed on my chum. It was unnerving to have about a hundred fish staring at me to see if I was going to spew anymore "food" for them. Oh... I forgot to mention... leave your Rolex on the boat because the barracudas follow snorklers and they really like shiny things!

      Delete
  6. My wife's favorite place was the Key West Butterfly & Nature Conservatory. I had never been to one before, and it was kind of cool. The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum was boring, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The drive to Key West starts off boring and you pass factories and oil refineries/electric power plants. But once you get out on highway 1 past Key Largo, and onto the 42 bridges that link the islands together, it's beautiful.

    As someone already remarked, there are no beaches at Key West except at the Wyndham. The rest are just rocky coral for the most part.

    Mallory Square is indeed very active at sunset and even though it's really touristy, the musicians and street performers are still quite good.

    Being someone who doesn't mind writing, I thought the Hemingway house was pretty cool (it's pretty much as-is from how he lived in the 1930's, nearly all of the fixtures are original), but you also have to be a cat lover- there's dozens that roam the ground and indeed almost all of them have 6 toes as they are descendents of the original Hemingway cats.

    You can also visit some of the pubs that he drank at, like Sloppy Joe's, which allegedly looks the same now as it did in 1930.

    There's also a tourist 'train/tram' that runs every hour. I liked the history and the guy was really funny.

    Bottom line, you may want to consider spending more than 2 days in Key West.

    JP in Philly

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's also a tourist 'train/tram' that runs every hour. I liked the history and the guy was really funny.

    gclub

    ReplyDelete