- Company owns a two-room warehouse from which it runs its operations.
- Warehouse has a single entrance in the front, which leads directly into a lone hallway which dissects the building.
- On the left side of the hallway is the door to Room 1; on the right side, the door to Room 2.
- Company employs 8 workers who at any given time are divided equally between the two rooms. Employees in one room are generally unaware of happenings in the other room.
- On January 1st, the only people in the building are the 8 workers.
- Later that day, a man enters the building through the front door. He never leaves. He's found strangled in the hallway at 5:00.
- All eight workers are interviewed by police; none claim ever to have seen the man.
- Prosecutor rules death a homicide; brings murder charges against all 8 workers. No other charges are filed. Each employee is tried separately.
- Man's family brings civil suit against the company.
1. What result would you anticipate from the criminal trials?
2. What result would you expect from the civil trial?