I got back from Vegas yesterday evening, and figured I'd give a brief trip report. Because I'm slammed at work (or, am I just addicted to work?), I'm going to skip to the highlights.
First, with respect to my goal of reaching MLIFE Platinum at 200,000 tier credits. Well, I failed. I landed Friday evening sitting at 178,000. I played 4 hours of 100-hand VP at $10 a rip and ended up earning only 6,000 points. Sure, I could have crushed the game Saturday and Sunday and hit 200,000; but I chose to enjoy the rest of the weekend rather than WORKING grinding the machines. I ended the weekend at 185,000. It's painful to fall 15,000 short of Platinum. But I have no regrets.
Second, I got my NFL/NCAA futures action down (the primary purpose of the trip) as follows:
Green Bay OVER 11 (-130) $650 to win $500
Kansas City OVER 10.5 (+150) $340 to win $500
Arizona to Win SB $100 at 6/1
Washington to Win NCAA Playoff $100 at 22/1
FSU to win NCAA Playoff $100 at 15/1
Third . . . Saturday was one of the greatest days I've ever had in Vegas.
- It began at 6:30 am. I roll downstairs, grab coffee, and play some $100 hand VP.
- 9:00 -- we begin watching football at the MGM book.
- 10:30 -- We roll to Tap Sports Pub at 10:30 for some food and breakfast beers.
- 12:00 pm -- Monte Carlo to play the 1 Cent 100-hand machine and enjoy some further adult beverages.
- 3:00 pm - poker at MGM, where we run in to Paul from across the Pond . . .
- 8:00 pm - Hop a cab to SLS for dinner at Bazaar Meats. A pre-dinner Patron & Club for me and an Old Fashion for MK at the bar before dinner. Bazaar ends up being . . . an experience. A stressful experience. Perhaps I'm an uncultured dolt, but the menu is daunting; and the process of ordering is pressure-filled. In the end, dinner was just OK -- the food was good, but seemed well overpriced.
- 11:30 - cab to Ex Cal for dem pokerz. We end up playing all night. MK leaves around 7:30 to shoot craps (seems like a good idea), and I end up playing poker until about 9:00 am. At some point in this process, AlaskaGal shows up. I think it was around 3:00 am, but I really can't be sure.
Yes, this is PPP after 16 hours of drinking. Somehow, I manage to book a decent win:
All told, we play 16 hours of poker Saturday, and I book approximately $1,000 win. I roll back to my room at the MGM around 9:30 and sleep until 2:00 . . .
And finally, Sunday . . . um, was a weird day, largely because both MK and I were recovering from a brutal 24 hour shit-show. My day really did not even get started until kick off of the ND game at 5:00. We hung out at the MGM sportsbook bar, sipping beers and playing VP while watching the ND-Texas game. My mashing skills were on full display:
After celebratory (comped) shots of Patron (in fact, Rich the bartender comped ALL of our drinks over the course of 3 hours, including MK's even though he was not mashing), at 8:30, we rolled to Craft Steak for dinner. Our plan was to play poker at Ex Cal again for a second straight all-nighter, and roll directly on to our flight home at 9:00 am Monday morning. But, sometime in the middle of our bottle of cab, exhaustion set in. Neither one of us could even finish dinner. We ended up back up in the room by 12:30 and got a few hours sleep before yesterday's flight home.