"A purpose or motive alleged or an appearance assumed in order to cloak the real intention or state of affairs"
- The Director of the FBI is appointed to a ten-year term, the purpose of which is to avoid exertion of political pressure on the Nation's top law enforcement official.
- In July 2016, the FBI begins investigation into Russian interference in 2016 election process.
- In 2016, during the Presidential Campaign, then candidate Trump criticized FBI Director Comey for not bringing charges against Hillary Clinton. Later, in October 2016, Trump publically praised Comey:
"That was so bad what happened originally, and it took guts for Director Comey to make the move that he made in light of the kind of opposition he had where they’re trying to protect her from criminal prosecution . . . It took a lot of guts."
"What he did, he brought back his reputation — he brought it back . . . He's got to hang tough because a lot of people want him to do the wrong thing. He did the right thing."
- In January 2017, the Justice Department Inspector General launches internal investigation into Comey's handling of Clinton Probe. This investigation is ongoing as of May 9.
- The week of May 1, 2017, Comey testifies before the Senate and, among other things, confirms that FBI investigation in to Russian meddling:
“[I]ncludes investigating the nature of any links between individuals associated with the Trump campaign and the Russian government, and whether there was any coordination between the campaign and Russia’s efforts . . ."
- May 9, Trump fires Comey, citing memorandum prepared by Deputy Attorney General (and signed off on by AG Sessions, who recused himself from Russia Inquiry), which points to Comey's handling of Clinton investigation in 2016 as basis for decision.
- Trump, in Comey termination letter, writes:
"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau."
- As of May 9, there remained an ongoing investigation by Justice into Jim Comey's handling of the Clinton probe.
- There remains an ongoing investigation, led by the very agency Jim Comey was, until May 9, in charge of, into whether or not White House associates colluded with Russia to impact the 2016 Presidential Election.
If you believe that Trump abruptly fired Jim Comey on May 9 for his handling of the Clinton investigation in 2016, prior to Justice concluding the active investigation into Comey's handling of the that very inquiry, you are an idiot.